2024 Daytime Emmys Live Discussion Thread

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It sucks that DAYS was shut out, and that DAYS is associated with camp, as I think it does a disservice to some of its actors. Billy Flynn, Dan F, and AZ all have put in phenomenal work not just this past year, but for Flynn and Zucker, at multiple occasions in the past. 

• Members

Well, that is a thing for DAYS! They have always had SOME actors who were doing superlative work. So, in a sense, this is ongoing. But, you are certainly correct that a disservice is done them because the style, the quality in general, the writing, the problems with the writing, etc. all conspire to cheat excelling actors out of any acclaim. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'm thrilled as well! 

DVD is a national treasure in my book.  He might need a little more assistance getting around these days, but there's still that twinkle in his eye and spring in his step.  AFAIC, he's one of the last of the breed of entertainers who exude talent, warmth and class.

(And no, it's not lost on me that even 98-year-old DVD looked to be in better health onstage than 61-year-old Frank Valentini.)

Edited by Khan

• Members
Posted (edited)

Things that I have been told about Frank by people who work for him. By Me.

1. He is as healthy as a horse.

2. He is naturally quite pale.

3. He suffers from stage fright.

4. He works himself so hard that by end of week, Friday show done, he is completely exhausted.

5. Last year, Emmys, he had Covid, but didn't know it till Monday morning. 

There is no 6. 

And I am not a Frank apologist. I post loudly & often about the buck stopping at his door & list the things I think he should be doing that he is not doing. I am as critical of him as almost anyone else. 

Here's the thing. I could care less how odd Frank might seem at the mic. Brilliant people are often quite odd. I am not saying he is brilliant. What I want is for him to produce a better show. Then he can be as odd as he pleases. Just give us more edge, heart, pay-off, stakes, ..

Edited by Contessa Donatella
necessary because of troll

• Members

Frank Valentini should let someone else on the team accept the award if he's gonna act so strange and can't speak. He's just asking for criticism by being so odd. And the people making excuses for him don't help him, either. He works so hard that he can't get excited on a Friday night. SMH. Some people will believe and repeat everything they hear no matter how ridiculous it sounds. I agree that 98 year old DVD has more life in him than Frank. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

If he looks that bad producing such a shitty-ass show every week, imagine how he'd look if he worked so hard to produce a show that's actually watchable, lol?

You might not be too far from the truth, lol.

That's always been my number-one issue with Frank's work as EP on GH and OLTL: what is his style as a producer beyond bloated casts, sluggish storylines and obnoxious child "actors"?  What has he done for both shows that's been good yet uniquely him?

Edited by Khan

• Members

Absolutely. The Daytime Emmys can serve as a promotional event for each of the soaps as much as anything else...so it boggles me that each of the soaps didn't insist on having a clip package played throughout the night for Best Drama Series...I really miss the good old days when the show featured clip packages around various themes (couples, fashion, catfights) - they really add to the production quality of the show.