• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Toups pinned this topic
  • Errol featured this topic
  • Members

Please no more anniversary episodes. We get it, they've all been around for ages and we are reminded that the show hasn't brought an important, lasting character in more than twenty years.

It is time for Devon to say goodbye and for Tucker to introduce us to his other, more interesting kids. The less said about Nick the better.

• Members
Posted (edited)

This is funny, but in some ways sums what’s wrong with Devon as a character, which I’m sure wasn’t their intention. CK just comes right out and says it:

The fact remains that the writing for the character has been embarrassing. Getting stuck in child illness drama when comparable white characters would have had teenage love stories. Banging his “aunt” of nowhere. Having a multiple-year relationship with a character that was mostly off screen in spite of Roxanne being played by THE Ashley Banks.

His sole bright spot was his romance with Hilary (which petty, vengeful Mal Young destroyed). Even that “love story” wasn’t exactly well-written. Quite the opposite.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Hahaha I can't believe you're checking for Joshua Morrow. I just can't get past the whole overgrown frat boy persona that's just so ridiculous at his big age.

Yeah the story is silly but EB is keeping the show going. I'm not getting the sense that he's phoning it in and riding out his contract just to collect the checks.

• Members

Neither can I, lol.  And the thing is, if Y&R's writers were smart, other characters on the show, including his own family, would recognize that and call him out on that.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'm actually of two minds on Bryton/Devon. 

On the one hand, it's obvious that no one post-Bill Bell has made any real investment in Y&R's African-American characters, so the statement (however inadvertent) that Devon isn't a real character is not entirely off the mark, because no one who's of color and on Y&R is playing a real character anymore and hasn't for many, many years.

On the other hand, I think the argument could be made that one of the OTHER things that holds Bryton back on this show is Bryton himself.  Even if you had a HW or EP who halfway cared about POC on Y&R, what could they really do with an actor who doesn't possess Kristoff's acting abilities or Shemar's sex appeal and charisma?  (And don't tell me Bryton has sex appeal and charisma, because we both know you're lying, lol!)

To me, it's telling how they've basically stuck Devon with Abby, a character who might as well be retconned out of existence, for all the impact she has made on Y&R.

Edited by Khan

• Members

that applies to most of the cast. The characters are written in broad terms and it's up to the actors to bring some depth and nuance, Some succeeed and others flop.

I'm sure Bryton is the nicest guy on the planet but Devon is boring.

Anytime Devon is onscreen with Nate, that is obvious.