ARTICLE: Patrick Mulcahey OUT as Co-Head Writer at ‘General Hospital’

• Webmaster
General Hospital, GH, GH ABC, #GH, #GeneralHospital

Nearly five months since being named co-head writer at “General Hospital,” Daytime Emmy Award winner Patrick Mulcahey is exiting the daytime drama series, Soap Opera Network has learned.

Elizabeth Korte, who became co-head writer alongside Mulcahey, will assume sole head writer duties following Mulcahey’s exit.

News of Mulcahey’s departure from “General Hospital” began circulating on social media Thursday afternoon following a report by The Buzz blog.

Having written for several soaps, including a previous tenure as a scriptwriter, breakdown writer and later associate head writer at “General Hospital” in the mid-to-late 90s, Mulcahey is probably best known for his time as a scriptwriter at “The Bold and the Beautiful.” He joined the show’s writing team in 2005 and would later become a story consultant at the series until he left the series in 2019.

In related news, Chris Van Etten is back as a breakdown writer at “General Hospital.”

Fans of the show will recall that Van Etten and his then-co-head writer, Dan O’Connor, were replaced by Mulcahey and Korte as the show’s new co-head writers.

Although reports indicate Van Etten is replacing Mulcahey as the show’s new co-head writer, sources tell us that is presently not the case, and Korte will be the show’s sole head writer. Additional changes within the show’s writing staff are expected.

In recent weeks, “General Hospital” has tied its series low among Women 18-49, one of the two key sales demographics that set advertising rates for daytime television programming.

The series has also hit a new season low among Total Viewers during the week of May 6-10, 2024, the most recent week in which ratings data is available for the series. Overall, the show has averaged under two million viewers for the fourth consecutive week and the 10th time this season.

Note: The post Patrick Mulcahey OUT as Co-Head Writer at ‘General Hospital’ appeared first on the Soap Opera Network website.

Read More

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’m bummed that this didn’t work out. The scripts were so much more interesting. The show just needed someone who was better at plotting stories to work with them IMO.

I am not certain Korte is in the correct role. But time will tell.

Any word on if he decided to quit or was let go? I cannot imagine him staying if he was not getting close to what he was promised or wanted. Makes the rumors of a power struggle seem much more plausible than they did earlier this week.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Well, Korte is a Jason whore first, an angst whore second & Carly comes in third. BUT, she will not go against Frank. And she & Frank both hate Becky so that fanbase is going from unhappy to miserable, count on it. 

As a Carly fan, I am one on TwiX who keeps asking for the subscription info for this alternative feed #AllCarlyAllTheTime looked & looked & cannot find it. These folks see Carly on the show every single day & we do not, so it's a mystery. I've suggested you have to be standing in the secret room in the DiMera mansion to get to sign up for this alternate Carly feed!

And, BTW, LW calls her IG acct "Carly's World". Some persons on social media think this means she stomps into the head offices & demands .... oh just anything. 

I hope you know this is said with levity, not aggression. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more