BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think all the classic soaps could do well with a 30-minute streaming, tweaked format.  

I'd honestly prefer this be on a streaming platform if anything. I think that this show being 30 minutes would be suitable for it too. An hour of soaps is too much nowadays with the current bunch of writers. They are burned out and not producing at all. 

I hope (too) that Michele has total control of the narrative and not much interference. Let her tell her story, her way. Notes are OK but focus on the numbers and leave the story to the writers. 

• Webmaster

Here's the facts:

The Gates

• First soap in development since launch of "Passions" in 1999.
  • First soap in development at CBS since launch of "The Bold and the Beautiful" in 1987.
  • First soap about a Black family created by and executive produced by a Black person and Black woman.
  • First soap about with Black people as central figures since the launch of "Generations" in 1989.
  • P&G Studios is a partner in the CBS Studios/NAACP Venture for this potential series.
  • Michele Val Jean remains the first and only Black female head writer of a daytime drama series, and will also add showrunner/executive producer credits as a first as well. Sheila Ducksworth is co-EP and is also Black.

Will add more later...

• Members
Posted (edited)

And she made an amazing statement. 

Sheila Ducksworth will also executive produce along with Leon Russell, Derrick Johnson and Kimberly Doebereiner “’The Gates’ will be everything we love about daytime drama, from a new and fresh perspective,” said Sheila Ducksworth, president of the CBS Studios NAACP venture. “This series will salute an audience that has been traditionally underserved, with the potential to be a groundbreaking moment for broadcast television. With multi-dimensional characters, juicy storylines and Black culture front and center, ‘The Gates’ will have impactful representation, one of the key touchstones of the venture. I’m excited to develop this project with CBS and P&G, two of the longest and most passionate champions of broadcast and daytime television, and the NAACP, whose enduring commitment to Black voices and artists is both powerful and inspiring. I also want to thank CBS’ George Cheeks, NAACP’s Derrick Johnson and P&G’s Marc Pritchard for their personal involvement and support to take our next step forward with ‘The Gates.'”

(From Variety)

Edited by Contessa Donatella

• Webmaster

Please keep in mind that all information currently available was shared in the SON article linked in the original post on page one, including statements, and additional information.

Please only share social media or information not shown in the article currently.