GH: O’Connor/Van Etten OUT! Mulcahey/Korte IN!

• Members

Soaps also exist to entertain, to instruct, for escape, to illustrate & model behavior, to challenge attitudes or norms, ... And, in fact, I do see Shakespearean aspects in some soaps at some times. Just yesterday FB Memories presented me with an opinion I'd written about Carly, Kristina, Sonny, Nina & the Haunted Star 2 years ago yesterday & the action was driven by Shakespearean confusion & classic misunderstanding. 

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The truth can be accurate and hilarious at the same time, I guess.

Thank you. I fully understand that every kind of material will thoroughly engage some folks and totally turn off others. I loved the work of Irna Phillips, Agnes Nixon, William J. Bell, Pat Falken Smith, Harding Lemay, etc., but intimate, character-driven and adult  drama is not everyone's cup of tea. I mean, some people actually chose to watch Hey Vern, It's Ernest! and Beavus and Butt-Head. C'est la vie, as they say.

It's curious that you are so ready to relegate soaps to the "lesser-than" category. As someone who was around to see the soaps' earlier years, I'd counter than many of the legendary writers of the genre gifted fans with stellar material, often on a par with or equal to the dreck that primetime television foisted upon us.

It's difficult to believe such a petulant and unsupported retort was even offered.

All traditional, network programming exists to sell advertisers' products.

It does not preclude artists working within television from doing their best to produce quality entertainment. There is a plethora of evidence available to support the contention that superior TV exists.

Yes, even among the beleaguered soaps.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

We all may regret that I am going to say this but here goes ... 

NBC's intent was for PSSN to be for everyone. The only reason it became a show, mostly, for young people is because that is the only demo that strongly & consistently watched it. James Reilly did not set out to create a soap for children. And, there were "grown-ups" who were fans too, even if they were a niche. Heck, all soap fans are niches! 

And, to attempt to drag this, kicking & screaming, back on topic, Janet Di Lauro has posted from SoapHub the 7 things she thinks the new writers should do. It just made me think that should be the meme for the weekend. Everyone should name their 7! It would be very interesting to see what items might create a possible consensus?!! 

To be fair, here's the link https://soaphub.com/general-hospital/news-gh/jason-return-7-key-moves-new-head-writers/

• Members

Isn't that when the truth is the most fun?!! 🫨

Yes, you're right. On Jan. 10th there would have been no way he'd have seen a script yet. I recall someone suggesting that he was concerned around that time that he didn't have a script yet but that didn't exactly make sense because there was plenty of time before his first tape date. So there was no reason for concern. (Ref: 1-22 date Mulcahey/Korte named.) 

• Members

The attempts in today's episode to bring heart forward, as well as the Jagger vs. Sonny history was nice... but I cannot help but feel like Mulcahey would have packed it in more and we'd have felt something more worth while. Also, Michael & Willow are not the Holden & Lily of General Hospital, and the attempts to sell them as such (intentional or not) needs to STOP!

• Members

The abject miscasting of the "new Jagger" is a detriment to the effectiveness of the story, however. What a curious choice of actor for that particular role.

Please register in order to view this content

Trying to manufacture chemistry between prospective romantic partners on screen is just uncomfortable when it's forced. Either chemistry is there or it's not.

• Members

The actor is objectively decent enough, just NOT as a Jagger recast. Shades of Kassie DePaiva taking over for Mia Korf, Wesley Pfenning being cast as Alice Frame, Susan Batten taking over as Connor Walsh, Roger Howarth following the wonderful Paul Holroyd as Paul Ryan. 

Why not just cast this new guy in a new role? He will never be Jagger.

• Webmaster

If you are ignoring them, you won't see their posts. And the same for them.

I get frustrated myself from time to time, but you have to walk it back always. It can be hard and frustrating, but you gotta do it.