R.I.P.: Bill Hayes Has Died

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

other then Deidra and ken.. did anyone else from days family participated in the memorial? 

kristian? peter? missy? matt? drake? suzanne? 

kind of disappointing Deidra only read a poem and did not say nothing personal from her 45+ years of knowing bill. I think the audience was surprised she finished her eulogy so soon.. 

• Members

Deidre said Susan asked her to read that specific poem.  Deidre did that well and didn't overstep by saying anything else.   And the poem seems to have been chosen to stand by itself, as it was more of a spiritual/philosophical reading/metaphor about transitioning into the next life. 

There were other Days cast in attendance, but the cameras didn't show anyone in attendance regardless of whether they were coworkers, friends, or relatives. The only people shown on camera were people who were asked to speak or sing.  (A few cast mentioned on their own personal social media that they were there, but otherwise we wouldn't know, as attendees in the pews weren't shown.)

Bill Hayes was on Days for 54 years on and off, but that was only a small part of his 98 years alive.  Even when he was working, he did much after work, on weekends, and on vacations, that had nothing to do with the show.   And there were so many many many years he lived before he joined Days.

He did a lot in his long life and knew a LOT of people, went a lot of places, and made an impact on so many.  He helped people and spread joy everywhere.  A service lasting one hour and forty-five minutes was barely long enough to give glimpses into his life.  And this was for his family and closest friends,  many of whom spoke or sang at the service.  I enjoyed hearing all the stories about his life, and his long friendships.   Watching the service put things into a greater perspective for me. 

This is the poem that Deidre read aloud:

• I am standing upon the seashore. 
    A ship, at my side, spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts for the blue ocean. 
    She is an object of beauty and strength.
    I stand and watch her until, at length,
    she hangs like a speck of white cloud 
    just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."

Gone where? Gone from my sight. That is all.

She is just as large in mast, hull and spar as she was when she left my side. And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.

And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
    there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
    ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

The poem is attributed to various authors,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_From_My_Sight

But I won't get into that here, because it doesn't matter.   It's the essence of its meaning that matters here.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Just a thought, but I suggest discussing what Corday said at the Bill Hayes memorial ... on *any* other thread.

I just feel that Bill Hayes (and Susan Seaforth Hayes) should own this thread here.  Focusing on what he has given the world.

Edit. I see there is now a separate thread about Corday's words
Edit again, I see there isn't.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

At the funeral of Bill Hayes, Ken Corday seems to make a dig about the current situation with the show & the lawsuit. See what you think. Say what you feel. This is only the introduction of his time at the podium.

I thought it was appalling, totally without class. and first I do not believe he has ever been the kind of EP that you would call a Showrunner so that immediately is rather insulting that he would claim the title. And then to make an obvious dig at AriZ's lawsuit especially in this setting, is audacious. I mean how much nerve does he have?

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
typos are always with us

• Members

I wanted to post about some of the funeral. I'm so glad that they streamed it, sharing with us. One family member described the days they spent together with him & with each other at the house before & that is so wonderful. One member of the family collected one word for Bill from all of the family members! Jason47 has made a post of it. And the various members of the family who are musically talented & all they added. Especially loved the song from The Fantastiks & the Barbershop. Susan was amazing & I have such empathy for her. And when Deidre's voice broke, ...