ALL: Recasts who seemed like a different character.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Errol changed the title to ALL: Recasts who seemed like a different character.
  • Members

Guiding Light--

Jennifer Gati/Paige Turco/Wendy Moniz  as Dinah. Gati was tough and stubborn, Turco was soft to the point of squishiness, and Moniz seemed hard and selfish.

Elizabeth Dennehy to Sherri Stringfield as Blake. GAWD, Dennehy was miscast in the role. Stringfield fit perfectly as Maureen Garrett's daughter. Blake went from being a cold fish to a scheming neurotic troublemaker.

As the World Turns--

Brad K/John LoPrieno/Austin Peck as Brad. #1 had a laid back zen vibe, #2 was evil and suddenly insanely possessive of Carly, and Peck came back as a bum/airhead.

Honestly, just about every recast of the Goutman era. They all changed personalities with little to no explanation. Craig, Dusty and Paul are the most egregious, but even Mike and Meg didn't carry over much of the established personality of their characters. 

Y&R

Eileen Davidson/Brenda Epperson as Ashley. Sorry---Epperson's Ash was as dumb as a box of rocks. 

• Members

As for night time soaps:

Dynasty: Pamela Sue Martin VS Emma Samms

Al Corley VS Jack Coleman

Catherine Oxenberg VS Karen Cellini

Dallas: Morgan Fairchild VS Priscilla Presley

David Ackroyd VS Ted Shackelford

David Wayne VS Keenan Wynn

• Members

Is there any truth to the rumor that the producers found her working at some fast-food joint and offered her the gig?  Or was it one of those "discovered at a drugstore" tales that PR people love to make up?

(Personally, I thought the concept of someone with no prior acting experience landing a role on a hit TV series after being noticed at a fast-food restaurant would have made for a great Hallmark movie, lol).

• Members

Surprised the classic example of Dorothy Lyman vs. Jill Larson as AMC's Opal hasn't been mentioned yet. Both very talented actresses (with Lyman having the edge) portraying an entertaining character that added much to the canvas, but they had different roles, different connections, different motivations, etc. to the point where, out of respect for both actresses, we almost talk about them like they actually were two different characters ("Opal Gardner" vs. just "Opal").

• Members

SFT

Yes Jacquie Schultz Patti was Jo's daughter and that was it.

Firstly she was a good 10 years younger than Patti should be. Patti was a nurse who somehow morphed into spunky reporter. She had 2 children who in soap ages should be teens but JS Patti appeared to be child free and so on.

It was nice to finally have Jo's daughter back but not as Pod Patti.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

ATWT was one of my Gram's (RIP) favorite soaps. So, sometimes I'd read some ATWT in the soap mags and watch casually so she could chat with me about it.

(I was more an ABC [AMC] girl turned NBC watcher [Days/Santa Barbara] in my teens/20s - college].)

I mention this because I'm surprised to not see Melanie Smith vs. Kelley Menighan (formerly-Hensley) as Emily on here.

Smith's version seemed like the intense sexpot, impulsive type while Menighan just seemed neurotic, losing the intensity. Not to mention the actresses did not even resemble each other whatsoever.

Edited by Wendy

• Members

I was always amazed that KMH hung on to the role as long as she did. While she captured Susan's neurotic tendencies, I always found her to be much too cold, to the point of reptilian.