• Members

With an end to the writers strike allegedly in sight. What chances do we all think some of the striking writers will be shown the door when they return? 

Obviously B&B won’t. With Y&R’s head writer also being their EP, I am sure that will be a hard sell as well. GH and Days may have some kind of chance. Days has had a head writer change almost immediately or within six months of the end of the last 3 writers strikes. Could this be the end of Carlivati? 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Based on what I have watched: I am sure General Hospital will be making some changes. I've always been in the corner of Chris Van Etten & Dan O'Connor, but, the interim regime has really tightened and paced the canvas in a way that the formers would not have done had they still been writing presently. As for Days of Our Lives ⏤ it is hard to tell, because we won't be seeing WGA Strike material until sometime next year, but, if it's anything like what we see right now, the change won't make a difference.

• Members

I don't know if GH would get rid of their headwriters once the strike is officially over.  I could see GH probably keeping whoever was handling the breakdown writing and script writers because they're the ones that have a hand with pacing, etc.

Also.. maybe because the strike was going on.. maybe the network left the scab writers alone so anything they wrote/decided on didn't have to go through hoops to get approved.

• Members

One of the writers for Soaphub told me that the GH scabs only were free to do the dialog, daily scripts on their own & that even story beats had to be approved. Someone else told me that Korte is the main writer for Vanna & her being on strike is why we've had either No Vanna or Strange Vanna. Many fans are clamoring for Frank to dump Dan & Chris. IDK! And, last but not least the reason Sprina's been so weird is that NAC told them he'd be gone doing his Ryan Murphy movie & of course he wasn't. So they had written him out & had to scurry to write him back in. Ace's Big Brother was quick & easy. [Grumble, grumble.] 

• Members

Given that the scabs could never join the WGA, be eligible for WGA awards, and SAG would need to exempt the production from using non-union writers, I think the chances of the GH scabs being hired full-time are pretty bleak.

Even if awards didn't matter, it is poor optics for a network that just negotiated a new contract to hire scabs. 

So, they may be creative, but the scabs disloyalty to the union is unlikely to be rewarded.  And, due to the fact that there was no significant increase in ratings while the scabs were writing, there would be no motive for change.

However, that obviously doesn't dissuade GH or DAYS from hiring the thousands of other writers who stood with the WGA, so hope springs eternal.

Edited by j swift