ARTICLE: Netflix Cancels Half-Hour Comedy ‘Uncoupled’ After Just One Season

Errol

• Webmaster
Tuc Watkins, Neil Patrick Harris, Uncoupled, #Uncoupled, Netflix

There will not be a second season of “Uncoupled,” the Netflix half-hour comedy series starring Neil Patrick Harris (“How I Met Your Mother”) as Michael Lawson, a man whose life was seemingly perfect until his partner blindsides him by ending their 17-year relationship.

“One Life to Live” alum Tuc Watkins appeared in a recurring capacity as Colin McKenna, the man who dumped Michael after he unexpectedly moved out of their home on the eve of his 50th birthday. With Michael completely blindsided, overnight, he has to confront two nightmares: losing the man he thought was his soulmate, and suddenly finding himself a single gay man in his mid-forties in New York City.

Gonzalo Aburto de la Fuente, Emerson Brooks, Tuc Watkins, Uncoupled, #Uncoupled, Netflix
(L to R) Gonzalo Aburto de la Fuente, Emerson Brooks, Tuc Watkins (“Uncoupled”)
Photo by Sarah Shatz/Netflix

According to Deadline, with the show barely cracking the streaming service’s weekly Global Top 10 (TV Series) chart following its July 29, 2022 release, appearing only once at #6 with 26.520 million hours viewed, there wasn’t much hope for the eight-episode series after months went by without any renewal announcement. Reportedly, producer MTV Entertainment Studios was hoping to find a new home for the series, including possibly at Showtime, but a deal could not be made.

From Emmy Award-winning co-creators Darren Star and Jeffrey Richman, the series also starred Tisha Campbell, Brooks Ashmanskas, Emerson Brooks, and Marcia Gay Harden (“So Help Me Todd”).

While Deadline notes that half-hour shows are at a disadvantage in the Netflix ratings system which is measured by hours viewed, another Darren Star series doesn’t seem to have found that to be an issue. Star is the creator and executive producer of “Emily in Paris” which currently ranks fourth in the most recent chart, three weeks after its release on the streamer. That half-hour comedy will be back for a fourth season following an earlier two-season pickup order.

Note: The post Netflix Cancels Half-Hour Comedy ‘Uncoupled’ After Just One Season appeared first on the Soap Opera Network website.

Read More

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

Personally, I enjoyed parts of the show, particularly Tisha Campbell's storyline even though it came off awkward and icky at times. That said, Neil Patrick Harris' "Michael" was very annoying and Tuc Watkins' "Colin" was not very rootable. So, their breaking up didn't bother me too much. However, their potential reconciliation just didn't make sense and the friends choosing sides schtick was no good. 

The show had potential and I was semi-rooting for a second season, but I'm glad it failed. Hopefully, we'll get a better "Sex and the City" type series for gay men since "Uncoupled" and the Peacock version just weren't it.

• Members

Personally I’ve always found Neil Patrick Harris to be so overrated over the years I never quite understood his hype over the years. That said I only watched one episode of Uncoupled and wasn’t impressed, felt there was so many stereotypes that I just didn’t feel any desire to finish. 

Like the movie “Bros” the potential and ideas are there, just horribly executed with lazy writing and bad casting IMO.

• Webmaster

Completely agree with this, especially regarding "Bros." The movie had so much potential but had the wrong person leading the cast, and write the film itself. Billy's character came off as more angry, racist and bigoted than any other character he tried to portray that way.

• Members

Exactly! There’s some great content out there, unfortunately it seems to me as of late the content that is getting presented and hyped to be “mainstream” just isn’t watchable or likable. I had more fun watching Tom Selleck in In & Out and or the movie Adam & Steve back in the day as opposed to some dreck we’ve gotten lately. 

• Members

I liked the concept of the series, but ultimately it was mostly predictable and the main characters were one-note. Hopefully someone else will come up with the similar concept -- dating for gays in their 40's once their twinky and/or circuit queen days are behind them, and they've had some serious relationships under their belt. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Russell T. Davies’s UK series Cucumber had a very similar concept, but I recall it being super depressing. (It’s available to watch for free with ads on the Roku Channel.) There are some web series like The New 30 and The Disappointments that tackle that concept but neither has a Netflix budget, of course.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I saw this on Showtime and it's missing A LOT. I found it dry and cliché and wish I could describe it better. Okay, so as far as writing, it's like Days of Our Lives trying so hard to be a Sex and the City. Believe me, it sucks. However, it's missing so much that you kind of wish the fictional character of Leo Stark was on Uncoupled instead of DAYS.