Superman: Legacy

Toups

• Toups changed the title to James Gunn Writing Superman Movie - Henry Cavill Not Returning
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I really liked Henry as Superman and it's a bummer we never got more of him in the role.  If Gal doesn't return was Wonder Woman then it's a clear sign that the new regime is starting over and getting rid of the Snyderverse.  And we'll see if Flashpoint will play a role in all of this. 

• Members

I mean they’re in a place where they really need to start over, so I can understand why. The DC brand has long been tarnished and only few of those films actually made a profit for WB (Aquaman and the off-universe Joker being the only DC films to ever cross a billion dollars globally - albeit a rare accomplishment, but it looks bad when compared directly to Marvel’s profitability). This isn’t even getting into the financial and PR losses that happened with the Snyder cut.

Gunn and Safran were specifically hired in an attempt to go full throttle with ripping off Kevin Feige’s MCU model (vs. the half baked attempts that came before with the Snyderverse). There’s going to be more of an effort on a cohesive and connected universe moving forward (Gunn recently said this himself). The prevailing issue is WB continues to be cash strapped in general, and again, the DC brand has gotten so tarnished and seen as generally inferior to Marvel by the general public for over a decade now (to the point where even relativity obscure Marvel properties like Gunn’s own Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, and Doctor Strange were outgrowing marquee DC IPs like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Justice League).

It would serve Gunn and Safran best to position the new DC film universe as something totally distinct and tonally different from the MCU, while still following the MCU’s format/business model. Becoming a more overt MCU knock-off won’t serve them well, and Kevin Feige has proven himself to be an extremely rare force in this genre and in Hollywood - it’s usually a case of often replicated but never duplicated there.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I don't care at this point. I haven't cared in ages, let alone when they first rebooted the comics with Nu52 which drove me away from the print books. DC is now a poisoned chalice. I used to love the company's work but it's a complete debacle onscreen, and the comics are a mess to me. I'll always love the characters but in terms of film they should let it lie for some years. The Black Adam mess and the Henry Cavill come here/go away stuff is amateur hour, and that's not even getting into Ezra Miller or the Zack Snyder groupies.

The Batman was good, but to paraphrase David Lynch a good standalone Batman movie and a nickel will get you a cup of coffee. It doesn't amount to a larger whole.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Ha, even in the comics, Batman is the only thing DC has that's selling usually (comic sales are like soap ratings though - nothing amazing and continuously dwindling). The Superman, Wonder Woman, and Justice League properties are not selling much at all. Marvel, by comparison, is still usually able to attract some readers to their Spider-Man, X-Men, and Avengers associated properties and those books are usually on the top half of the sales chart. 

Some DC purists refuse to admit it, but Batman has long surpassed Superman as DC's marquee character. Superman, in particular, has had issues with remaining relevant with younger superhero fans more than most big superheroes. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I did as well. And I LOVE Gal. I would hate the good things (WW, Aquaman, the last Batman movie though not my favorite, MoS) swept away when all it needs is a good pivot. 

Though I might be eating my words if Flashpoint IS the pivot.

It just feels like a new soap writer coming in and doing anything they want rather than following Douglas Marland's rule about waiting six months to see what's good and what's not. 

I agree with this. But isn't that how DC started...by being (well, trying) to be a darker universe against Marvel's more tongue-in-cheek approach.

I am definitely curious, but cautious.

• Members

I'm well aware. The problem is that in media this began long ago. Since the Burton films, WB has leaned on Batman as the only character they care about or respect for decades. They are ashamed of most of their characters, especially Superman, and have been since attempts at a Superman film in the '90s. They've always tried to simply remold the other characters into Batman-lite in feature attempts since (Man of Steel, etc). And when in doubt they simply make more Batman or Batman-adjacent movies. In doing so they've ceded any color or variety in their films to Marvel. As a result, generations of children worldwide now know and love Captain America and Steve Rogers; he is their Superman. And Superman, who deserves equal and separate treatment to Batman, is an also-ran. He just gets more grimdark movies with Batman - directed by Zack Snyder.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The DCEU was a botched experiment from the start with little thought behind it. WB saw Marvel's billion dollar success with the first Avengers movie, and they wanted to jump straight to that with rushed crap like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Joss Whedon's Justice League. They didn't understand that Marvel built their success over the course of years with individual story/character arcs before the first Avengers movie. By the time they got to an Avengers movie, there had been a significant build-up and anticipation and the building blocks were gradually put into place for their connected universe. WB wanted to rush directly into a connected universe without putting in the work to build it up first. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Toups changed the title to Superman: Legacy
  • 3 months later...