Prime: LOTR: The Rings of Power

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ok, now I'm really mad. They actually used the way Beren and Lúthien met (he saw her dancing in a glade full of flowers) to describe the meeting of Galadriel and Celeborn??!!

This is bordering on sacrilegious. Tolkien drew inspiration for that meeting from his real life, from an experience he had with his wife Edith, when she danced for him in a forest glade. And the story of Beren and Lúthien was so close to his heart that those names are engraved next to his and his wife's names on their gravestone for heaven's sake! 

Tolkien's headstone. You guys might have seen this before, I hadn't before  my godfather posted a pic today. MIC : r/lotr

It had nothing to do with Galadriel and Celeborn.

• Members

Ew. That looks awful. That looks like the styrofoam that I saw when they filmed a Transformers movie near a non-profit organization that I volunteered at. Yeah, it was like bogus styrofoam spraypainted with gray to make it look like it was actual stone or broken cement blocks. But, that font looks so gross. If someone would want to go for a more "conservative" font, I'd recommend Georgia. It's really cute.

Or, hell. I've got a Games of Throne font. I can help.

Edited by Noel

• Members

Did you read even the post you were replying to?  That's not a picture of a prop. It's not something from the TV series. That is a photo of the real-life gravestone where Tolkien and his wife Edith are buried.

In the Rings of Power series recent episode, Galadriel tells the teen boy Theo about how she met her husband Celeborn.  This story was created for Rings of Power.  Yes Galadriel is married to Celeborn, but the specific story of how they met does not seem to have been mentioned in Tolkien's literature.  This story was created for the Amazon series.

Swede was posting that the story of the Tolkien characters Beren and Luthien and how they met was *canon* in Tolkien literature, ........ and that the Beren/Luthien first-time meeting seems to have been copied (co-opted) for Rings of Power to tell how Galadriel and Celeborn met.

Swede's point was that the canon story of how Beren and Luthien met... had a correspondence to how Tolkien and his wife Edith met in real lifeAn important significance. And then to illustrate the point, they posted a photo of the real-life gravestone where Tolkien and his wife Edith are buried, and you can see that it mentions the names Beren and Luthien on the gravestone.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Oh, now I get it! I thought it was an actual prop that was made out of styrofoam and spray-painted grey to make it look like a graveyard stone on a fansite somewhere. And the more I started to look at it, the more it reminded me of a kitchen countertop. So, it's for real, for real. 

Please register in order to view this content

My bad @I Am A Swede.

Edited by Noel