Prime: LOTR: The Rings of Power

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I really don't know how I feel about this. I'm a bit worried about the "Game of Thrones" comparison. "The Lord of the Rings" is a very different story than GOT.

But I won't be too negative. I wasn't sure that these books could be filmed at all, but Peter Jackson did a wonderful job. But at the same time he set the bar very high for anyone trying to follow in his footsteps.

But whatever happens I'll always have the books.... 

Please register in order to view this content

I do wonder if this project will get off the ground though, at least while Christopher Tolkien is still alive. From what I gather he wasn't particularly pleased with Peter Jackson's movies.

• Members

I agree that there are so many other stories from Middle-Earth they could tell, instead of doing another version of The Lord of the Rings. You have the legend of Túrin Turambar, the story of Beren Erchamion and Lúthien Tinúviel and so many others. But I guess they aren't as famous or well-known as LOTR and therefore less interesting.

• Members

The Telegraph says Amazon and Netlfix are in a bidding war over the rights which are so expensive HBO had to tap out. Insane!

I think those wouldn't attract as much interest/attention (not saying that's right) and, with when they're talking $250 million, I don't see them going for the less-known.

That being said, there is so much backstory, appendixes, characters not previously used, etc. that they can re-do the trilogy AND add more stuff.

Except Tom Bombadil. Even before the first movie I thought it wasn't filmable and I was glad he was never included. I can't see anyone getting it right, if it's even possible.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

If this project get off the ground I hope they fix a few things that bothered me about the movies. New Zealand is a beautiful place, but some of the locations were wrong in my opinion. Especially Rohan. It was much too rocky and harsh. It's supposed to be a giant grassy plain, stretching from horizon to horizon, without a hill in sight.

And the landscape surrounding Minas Tirith was also wrong. It's supposed to be dotted with farms and fields, and the distance to Mordor should be greater. You're only supposed to see a hint of the Mountains of Shadow surrounding Mordor from the citadel.

I'm obviously being nit-picky here, but unless they improve on the movies, and that will be tough, then what's the point of re-making it?

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

Ask (?) and you shall receive!

Amazon orders MULTI-season pick-up of the series... but it will be set BEFORE Fellowship of the Ring!

This is a lot to process. It all depends on what, and how, they do it.

I'm thinking they could do young(er) Aragorn, if they can find a great actor for the part. We can see Sauron's exploits after his fight with Gandalf and during the building of his army/amassing power in Mordor. There are so many options.

Edited by YRBB

• 4 months later...
  • Members

The series is reported to cost as much as $250 million! (for more than one season).

Also, a handy little breakdown of what we know so far (minus the newest budget news).

I'm dying to find out what they do with it.

Some things I NEED:

Filmed in New Zealand.

First episode directed by Peter Jackson.

I don't think that's it, although they might go down that road. With the tons of backstory available, they can literally adapt any part of it and keep the inventing stories at a low level.

Then again, they might take these characters and just build their own thing.

Whatever it is, I hope it's good.

Edited by YRBB

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...