Y&R February 2022 Discussion Thread

• Members

Does anyone else agree with me that Richard Burgi just isn’t very good as Ashland? Everyone’s gone out of their way to praise him, but I think he’s just mediocre in the role. I won’t miss him.

Hes a great looking guy, but he’s brought nothing special to the role.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I blame the show, which seems allergic to drama. I've seen Burgi play some crazy shít on cable and especially film, he's got a pretty funky range. But soaps don't have the creativity or energy these days for either nuance or wild swings. You've got talented folks playing largely staid ciphers.

• Members

Well some people go on recurring because the show doesn't plan on using them enough for their guarantee to make sense financially but some people go on recurring of their own volition because it gives them (and the show) some flexibility to do other things/take other jobs/live far away/be allowed to walk away anytime.
I have been preaching a more flexible system for years now - give enough leeway on the leash of actors to keep them happy while giving writers flexibility not to force themselves to write for characters just because they have a guarantee.
When actors have to choose between the safety of a soap contract and their gut desire to be creative and take on other projects, many will take the risk of leaving for the sake of the latter. Keeping them one foot in would keep some actors we otherwise lost.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

But how do you plan long-term when you don't know an actor's availability? I see why they sign these actors to such stringent contracts but then of course they do the dumb thing and overuse them with dull story (case in point the actors who played Kyle and Summer, I truly believe both would have stayed if the story wasn't so awful).

• Members

Ok, thanks, I didn't remember that.  I was thinking she'd been recurring ever since she reappeared.  (My suspicion is that CLB is recurring also, but they're continuing to list him with the contract cast out of "kindness".  Doug Davidson revealed -- in one of his little rants -- that he'd been dropped to recurring long before they removed him from the contract cast list.)   

• Members

Me either. That story had life to it and Tracey played it for all it was worth.  JG got unnerved by highly vocal stans of the Lauren & Michael coupling and backed away from letting the story unfold and resolve the way it should have. When it ran hot, it was a very entertaining story though.