Y&R January 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Funnily enough, it wasn’t always like this with Josh Griffith. I thought he steadied the show somewhat in 2008, during the Writer’s Strike, after the mess Lynn Marie Latham made of it  (though parts of that period were a giant nothing burger).

As well as 2012-13 as Head Writer, after Maria Arena Bell/Scott Hamner/Hogan Sheffer took things off the rails. Introducing Hilary, amongst others, and going some way to at least explaining Sharon’s behaviour under Maria Bell, even though I believe he started that paternity switch with Summer, Jack and Nick. I can’t recall. 

And I’m one of seemingly few people who actually liked his very (and I mean VERY) dark take on Days Of Our Lives in 2015-16, though I accept he likely went a couple of steps too far at the end with Hope killing Stefano and Ciara’s rape.

But this 3rd go around with Y&R?… this isn’t it. For all the reasons stated before and more succinctly. 

• Members

^This! All of this.

It was until those missteps Griffith had at DAYS is when I started having serious issues with his writing. However his Y&R is atrocious. Storylines are started, and then suddenly stop at the drop of a hat. His tenure on this show lacks any drama, any follow through, and there are very little or zero stakes. He's supposed to be penning a soap opera, but Y&R in it's current incarnation is anything but that.  And I am so annoyed that so much is either based on what transpired off screen. 

• Members

If you have issues with how Bill Bell, who created this [!@#$%^&*] show and guided it for over twenty-five years -- many of those years spent either at the top of the ratings or close to it -- wrote Y&R, then maybe Y&R is not the show for you.

I'm just saying.

Well, to be fair, Bill Bell had a similar tendency.  It's just more noticeable (and more annoying) when Josh Griffith does it.

• Members

What confuses me though is that his errors at Days are completely different from the current mess at Y&R.

With someone like Ron C. you see the pattern of his flaws between shows. But here we are going from someone who went way too far to someone who is doing nothing at all and writing nothing.

So either he way overlearned from the backlash at his bad calls at Days or at least part of what is ailing the show now has to do with constraints from upstairs for whatever reason.

Because personally I don't see a straight line from his previous work to the nothingness he is giving us here. Either way it is unforgivable and he needs to go but I allow the possibility he is not given completely creative freedom and some of the do-not-write-anything-interesting-lest-you-alienate-someone current writing style might continue under someone else if it is orders from the suits.

• Members

After catching part of the show today, I just can't get over how shockingly boring it is. Y&R was never my fave soap, but it was usually solid entertainment for the most part over the years. 

Lately, it just feels like NOTHING happens...just boring conversations about business takeovers or how many parents one baby can have.

At this rate, these are my predictions for future storylines...

Sharon decides to use a new brand of coffee at Crimson Lights. Will GC residents accept this change???

Billy and Lily try to determine what the hell Chance Comm does in the first place.

Will Michael join AARP or will he take a job creating legal documents for Victor? Lauren frets! 

Victor sits in his living room chair yet again and talks about who will run Newman Enterprises next! Will he pick Adam or Victoria? Do we care???

Abby decides that she didn't create her first child in a convoluted enough way. It's must be even MORE confusing for the second baby! She decides to have another child...this time by combining Uncle Jack's sperm with an egg from Chloe which they'll then implant in Sally Specta's womb! What could go wrong??? Chance begins to wonder if he should just disappear from this mess again.

Edited by pdm1974