Any storylines altered or dropped because of real world factors?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

On Y&R Nikki and Victor's story was altered when Melody became pregnant. There were no plans for Nikki to have a baby at that point, but Bill Bell simply rolled with it and incorporated her real life pregnancy into the story. It would be interesting to know what Bell had planned originally and whether the Bancrofts were added only after Melody became pregnant, or if they were added because of her pregnancy. 

• Members

In 1985, Another World had started a storyline involving Carl Hutchins stealing an Egyptian treasure with the show's younger couples- Nancy and Chris and Marley and Jake- involved as well.  The show originally planned to film location sequences in Egypt; however, this changed when the Italian cruise ship The Achille Lauro was hijacked by four men representing the Palestine Liberation Front off the coast of Egypt on October 7, 1985. An American man in a wheelchair, Leon Klinghoffer, was murdered by the hijackers and thrown overboard. Since the location sequence in Egypt was deemed too dangerous, the show wrote into the storyline that Carl Hutchins had transferred the Egyptian treasure to the Arizona desert and hid it.  The location sequence was filmed in Arizona later in October and aired in November.

• Members

If we are including behind-the-scenes events in the "real world factors" that impacted storylines, I imagine the list of pairings that were broken up because of actors dating/breaking up and/or actors intensely disliking each other must be very long - and even longer if we included the feuds and hookups we in the public know nothing about.

• Members

And actors' old age/illnesses/deaths. 

GH de-aged Edward Quartermaine with John Ingle after David Lewis retired, thus opening up different story possibilities, including the revelation of a past affair with Mary Mae Ward. Her portrayer, Rosalind Cash, was diagnosed with cancer while she was on the show, which I think cemented the growing role of Laura as Earth Mother, which, in turn, I believe started with Genie's pregnancy (scrap the potential action adventure stories).

The losses of Douglass Watson (AW) and Michael Zaslow (GL) impacted their respective shows...and OLTL even wrote the return of David Renaldi to bring Zas back there after he was ill.

• Members

Well, I don't know if Missy's backstage stuff changed the story of Jen/Jack/Peter, but the recast certainly killed the momentum.

Also, this is probably not the most egregious case, but you could tell onscreen when NL and TC broke up in real life as Nik and Emily.  The (small) amount of chemistry they had was completely gone lol