Promised Land - New Midseason Drama

• Members

While times have definitely changed, it on average takes shows at least two or three seasons to find an audience. And thinking someone will find a show with or without good advertising definitely will take more than two or three episodes. Definitely one. Which was my point. 

Using this show for example...I saw an ad for it cuz I watch soaps on my system. And completely forgot about it until we started talking about it regularly here. Hey, it happens. I can only imagine how other casual viewers might feel. Especially now with so many streaming channels now. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The thing is network’s can’t afford to keep shows with such low ratings. They don’t bring in the advertiser revenue to justify the cost of production for these shows. No advertiser wants to pay for ad space on a show that barely anyone is watching (especially one that isn’t resonating with the core demographic they want to reach). It’s a harsh reality, but it’s a business.

Streaming plays by a different set of rules, but again, if not enough people are streaming those shows and the streaming services aren’t driving enough new subscriptions based on those shows, they won’t last long.

• Members

Which simply proves that while times have changed, some things remain the same.

Please register in order to view this content

Again, like you that's why I said above that I do hope that going onto a streaming service will allow more people to hopefully discover it and hopefully save it. It wouldn't be the first show that moved to streaming and found a wider audience so again...hopeful.  

• Members

Pretty much. I mean, Netflix went from pretty much renewing everything because they were still starting up to cancelling a bunch of shows within the first few weeks of their debut seasons. Likely the reason why they kept those early shows going was to build up their own content library, but now that they've done so they feel like they can cancel shows that aren't driving subscriptions to their standard.

• Members

An interesting aspect that I have been encountering in the copious broadcast reports that have been finding their way to my inbox (most of which I haven't yet read) is that industry executives seem to believe that FAST is the future. FAST stands for Free Ad Supported Television.

Netflix does tend to cancel series relatively quickly these days, compared to the past, when they would take much more time to cultivate an audience for a show. Netflix also has raised subscription fees more than once in the past five or six years. And Netflix is no longer the only game in town. Disney+ is gaining considerable headway, not to mention HBO+ and Paramount+ just had a rebrand in an effort to further boost their visibility. I'm not sure Netflix's strategy of dumping shows will turn out to be such a successful one, because I know for a fact that many creators have begun to bypass them because of their restrictive contracts. Most creators don't want their hard work to go the way of ODAAT, trapped on a streaming service with very limited options for a second life for their series. Yes ODAAT did eventually find an alternative that Netflix found acceptable but the series lost a lot of momentum in the meantime. Nobody who cares about their creations wants that.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Well the last episode is 56 minutes long - at around 41 minutes the screen goes to black and I'm pretty sure it was the original cliffhanger. The last 15 minutes wraps up the show in a nice bow.

It's a shame it didn't catch on, but hey, if you want to watch a 10 episode prime time soap that isn't left with cliffhangers, it's on Hulu right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

‘That’s exactly what I had been saying.

I finally caught episode 10 on the ABC website, of all places. That’s where I caught each of the episodes, but you have to watch before they get locked down. If the series is canceled, why bother? Why not just leave all the episodes unlocked on the ABC website and put in ad breaks per usual?