Martha Byrne's husband (Mike McMahon) arrested

• Members

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but he was arrested as a foreign agent of China and stalking charges last October. What a story. It's not clear to me how much he knew. He's also just a minor player in this story. Sorry is this has already been posted but I haven't seen it here.

https://www.propublica.org/article/operation-fox-hunt-how-china-exports-repression-using-a-network-of-spies-hidden-in-plain-sight?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Here is one of the relevant parts.

Another defendant pleaded guilty to the foreign agent and stalking charges. McMahon, Jason Zhu and Zheng await trial on both charges.

Six FBI agents and two police officers arrested McMahon at his home in northern New Jersey at 6 a.m. on Oct. 28. His lawyer said that the Fox Hunt team duped the detective and that there is no evidence he knew he was working for the Chinese government. His total profit for a case that has destroyed him was $5,017.98, the lawyer said.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

This is an example of a phrase I loathe, "TL; DR" -- took me forever to figure out what that meant since I don't speak social media slang and I'm not 12. However, the story is juicy, I must admit. It's insane. It deals with high stakes drama, spies, cops and robbers. The works. Perfect movie or TV thriller. 

• Members

Here is a more succinct article. It lacks a lot of the drama and detail of course. Needless to say the Chinese government will stop at nothing to bring "criminals" in the U.S. back to China. Bringing that one man's elderly father across the world as a hostage is next level determination.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/28/private-eye-busted-in-chinese-government-plot-is-ex-nypd-sergeant/

• Webmaster

I read that! I was wondering if this was a new story when I started researching. Turns out the latest report is just outlining all the events. However, the formal indictments were released just a few days ago by the Department of Justice.

• Members

Just got a chance to read the full article. Thanks for posting @Juliajms.

Some years ago (I don't remember what year), I read about what is referred to as Operation Fox Hunt in a NYT article. I admit, I thought the operation was solely engaging Chinese born residents in the U.S. I wouldn't have guessed that they were also engaging non-Chinese to participate in these maneuvers. Also, I don't believe that McMahon, a former Sergeant in the NYPD would not have been able to figure out that his actions were, at the very least, a breach of U.S. sovereignty. His history of having been in the NYC street crimes unit gives me a great deal of pause where he's concerned.