HBO Max: It’s a Sin

• Members

Here’s the trailer for the five-part limited series It’s a Sin, written by Russell T Davies (Doctor Who, Cucumber/Banana, Queer As Folk). It’s set in the UK during the AIDS epidemic. Looks great. I’m a huge fan of RTD. Neil Patrick Harris co-stars. Starts streaming on HBO Max February 18. (In Britain, it airs on Channel 4.)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's a Sin. Is a ok. It doesn't cover any new ground. We haven't seen a billion times before. It has very brief moments. Of fun and self discovery. Along with a lot of dullness, sadness and preachiness. The young cast is very appealing. And do their best with the lackluster heavy handed material. It doesn't even capture. The distinctive flavor of the 80's. Queer As Folk was way better.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I hadn't thought about Davies in forever until recently in my news feed an article about his new show and him calling the BBC doomed or something came up. I think the last actual show by him I watched was Cucumber several years ago, it was very disappointing with all the gay men on the show being unlikeable one-note sex-obsessed sociopathic narcissists. 

I may check it out myself to see how it goes; I had heard his last couple TV shows get hyped up but then end up as trainwrecks by the end. Britain's Ryan Murphy? 

• Members

I don't think he is anywhere on Ryan Murphy's level, but I just have had my fill of a producer who goes out of his way to tell stories about gay men being miserable and dying horribly being treated as the go-to on the subject. I also think he is very heavy-handed with his political writing, which is, along with the gay tropes he loves, the reason I have not watched Years and Years. 

• Members

Good points. I enjoyed a lot Davies' QAF and Bob & Rose back in the day and of course Doctor Who but it was Torchwood where I first started feeling great malaise with Davies' work. I didn't watch Years & Years either due to negative word of mouth about the show's conclusion. 

Didn't mean to make it sound I was knocking Davies down to Murphy's level, just thinking in terms of being over-rated/overhyped. RM's stuff on Netflix is horrible, and I had to take a long shower after managing to barely stomach through Season 2 of Pose. 

• Members

It's alright - the only reason I would even complain is because Murphy is so uniquely horrible to me and has been since Nip/Tuck (such a vile, bigoted, misogynist show that has been memory holed). RTD's comments after killing Ianto are along the lines of a Murphy type of delusion and defensiveness, anyway. 

• Members

I think RTD is very talented, but also often overrated. I wasn't ready to deal with watching Years & Years when it first aired but I intend to do so soon. I hear this show is good, but you hear a lot of things. I will try it because I love Olly Alexander, and I love a fairly large amount of Davies' work while finding other stuff supremely bad and wanting.

That being said, whatever RTD's faults he's given us a lot of great entertainment. He's nowhere near Ryan Murphy, who has been a misogynistic, misanthropic self-loathing black hole for decades.