Y&R September 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

OOps- I also forgot to mention the Hillbilly Chance never had an accent, they've needed to recast from the git-go LOL.  Paging John Driscoll --  hear he was doing that other show.  I'd like a "chance" to see a decent actor in the legacy role.   

Abby I'm indifferent on, but they've done her no favors in the stupid tit for tat Phyllis story. Mix her in with the Devon set.  Move Mariah to working at ChanceComm, as she has experience in media since she has no job.

There was a good reason for Kevin and Chloe being gone......

Edited by slick jones

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've also always enjoyed the Abbotts more than the Newmans. Sometimes the Newmans feel like the family that ate the show.

As has been mentioned before, the show really needs more characters that aren't filthy rich. We need people who are middle class or social climbers to balance everything.

Right now, almost everyone is super rich.

• Members

Oh. I never cared for the Newmans. I always thought the Abbotts were more compelling family especially since the talent of the actors heavily skewed towards the Abbotts. To play a Newman you only have to be ok. 
Adam, Nick, and Victoria stay front burner and Billy essentially served as an extension due to awful Villy. 

• Members

Exactly---Alyssa the reporter, working middle class. We have no cops except Rey, and he's never working.  Mariah could be toiling at ChanceComm. A  great way to integrate some lower middle class character would be through the Clinic.  A nurse or receptionist, a couple of locals that run a nearby diner or work at say Fenmores.  The show needs economic diversity.  How about  a couple of employees at the Grand Penis er Phoenix-- a bellperson, desk employee? 

• Members

The dialogue is weak, dry, generic, and expository. If you’re not going to be telling grand stories or creating visual interest, at least make me laugh or something. Give me some rich character insights. I felt the same about Sussman’s stint. If you’re going to spin wheels, at least make add some razzle dazzle. DAYS (which isn’t fabulous by any means) currently does it far better than Y&R.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Where are the romances being thwarted by secrets and schemes?

The business stories that are affecting relationships and testing loyalties?

There's no long term build up - things that were happening months ago have no bearing on what's going on now and most of the characters have no story...

• Members

I agree that they are trying (and failing) with Chelsea/Adam/Sharon/Rey, plus with Billy/Alyssa scheming against Adam. But this show just feels like it’s in a period of transition with no end in sight. No momentum. Everything feels like a glorified C- or D-story (with no peaking A-story), and they are hoping viewers have the patience to sit through all of this. And these writers aren’t Claire Labine. And the characters don’t really pop. The conversations feel incredibly plot-driven yet there’s not really that much plot to speak of.

Edited by Faulkner