Y&R September 2020 Discussion Thread

Taoboi

• Members

OOps- I also forgot to mention the Hillbilly Chance never had an accent, they've needed to recast from the git-go LOL.  Paging John Driscoll --  hear he was doing that other show.  I'd like a "chance" to see a decent actor in the legacy role.   

Abby I'm indifferent on, but they've done her no favors in the stupid tit for tat Phyllis story. Mix her in with the Devon set.  Move Mariah to working at ChanceComm, as she has experience in media since she has no job.

There was a good reason for Kevin and Chloe being gone......

Edited by slick jones

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
19 minutes ago, Soap-princess said:

The Abbotts have been slowly killed or written off since LML/MAB which is the shame because the characters are definitely better Nick, Victoria (since 2005), and Adam. And yes, if I was watching, I would prefer to watch PB,ED, BM than what the Newmans are offering. 
I don’t care for Summer and Kyle. I find the characters and their portrayers to be mediocre from the bits I’ve seen of them.  They should marry and write them off the until the show is canceled. 

I've also always enjoyed the Abbotts more than the Newmans. Sometimes the Newmans feel like the family that ate the show.

As has been mentioned before, the show really needs more characters that aren't filthy rich. We need people who are middle class or social climbers to balance everything.

Right now, almost everyone is super rich.

• Members
30 minutes ago, pdm1974 said:

I've also always enjoyed the Abbotts more than the Newmans. Sometimes the Newmans feel like the family that ate the show.

As has been mentioned before, the show really needs more characters that aren't filthy rich. We need people who are middle class or social climbers to balance everything.

Oh. I never cared for the Newmans. I always thought the Abbotts were more compelling family especially since the talent of the actors heavily skewed towards the Abbotts. To play a Newman you only have to be ok. 
Adam, Nick, and Victoria stay front burner and Billy essentially served as an extension due to awful Villy. 

• Members
6 minutes ago, Soap-princess said:

Oh. I never cared for the Newmans. I always thought the Abbotts were more compelling family especially since the talent of the actors heavily skewed towards the Abbotts. To play a Newman you only have to be ok. 
Adam, Nick, and Victoria stay front burner and Billy essentially served as an extension due to awful Villy. 

I'm still bitter of the death of Colleen, too. That was a horrible writing mistake, IMO. 

• Members
52 minutes ago, pdm1974 said:

Exactly---Alyssa the reporter, working middle class. We have no cops except Rey, and he's never working.  Mariah could be toiling at ChanceComm. A  great way to integrate some lower middle class character would be through the Clinic.  A nurse or receptionist, a couple of locals that run a nearby diner or work at say Fenmores.  The show needs economic diversity.  How about  a couple of employees at the Grand Penis er Phoenix-- a bellperson, desk employee? 

• Members
36 minutes ago, slick jones said:

Exactly---Alyssa the reporter, working middle class. We have no cops except Rey, and he's never working.  Mariah could be toiling at ChanceComm. A  great way to integrate some lower middle class character would be through the Clinic.  A nurse or receptionist, a couple of locals that run a nearby diner or work at say Fenmores.  The show needs economic diversity.  How about  a couple of employees at the Grand Penis er Phoenix-- a bellperson, desk employee? 

I miss the days of Larry Wharton, Cody, Sean Bridges, Nina, and Raul. Common every day looking people integrated amongst the spoiled brats and high maintenance characters. 

• Members

The dialogue is weak, dry, generic, and expository. If you’re not going to be telling grand stories or creating visual interest, at least make me laugh or something. Give me some rich character insights. I felt the same about Sussman’s stint. If you’re going to spin wheels, at least make add some razzle dazzle. DAYS (which isn’t fabulous by any means) currently does it far better than Y&R.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members
11 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

The dialogue is weak, dry, generic, and expository. If you’re not going to be telling grand stories or creating visual interest, at least make me laugh or something. Give me some rich character insights. I felt the same about Sussman’s stint. If you’re going to spin wheels, at least make add some razzle dazzle. DAYS (which isn’t fabulous by any means) currently does it far better than Y&R.

This regime is the exact copy of sussmans stint. 3 week arcs. Her may sweeps were about faiths permisson slip

• Members
39 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

At least Days actually resembles a soap opera. 

• Members

Where are the romances being thwarted by secrets and schemes?

The business stories that are affecting relationships and testing loyalties?

There's no long term build up - things that were happening months ago have no bearing on what's going on now and most of the characters have no story...

• Members
10 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

They're putting the gas on the Rey, Sharon, and Adam triangle and I can't be any less interested.

They had that whole Adam/Victoria/Victor power struggle at Newman but it was all a snoozefest and has all fizzled out by now.

There's no long term build up - things that were happening months ago have no bearing on what's going on now and most of the characters have no story...

Co-signed!

• Members
12 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

This pretty much ended once Kay Alden was fired. Lol

• Members

I agree that they are trying (and failing) with Chelsea/Adam/Sharon/Rey, plus with Billy/Alyssa scheming against Adam. But this show just feels like it’s in a period of transition with no end in sight. No momentum. Everything feels like a glorified C- or D-story (with no peaking A-story), and they are hoping viewers have the patience to sit through all of this. And these writers aren’t Claire Labine. And the characters don’t really pop. The conversations feel incredibly plot-driven yet there’s not really that much plot to speak of.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members
20 hours ago, slick jones said:

OOps- I also forgot to mention the Hillbilly Chance never had an accent, they've needed to recast from the git-go LOL.  Paging John Driscoll --  hear he was doing that other show.  I'd like a "chance" to see a decent actor in the legacy role.   

Abby I'm indifferent on, but they've done her no favors in the stupid tit for tat Phyllis story. Mix her in with the Devon set.  Move Mariah to working at ChanceComm, as she has experience in media since she has no job.

There was a good reason for Kevin and Chloe being gone......

What other show? Last I heard, he left, joined the army, got married a while ago, and seem pretty much retired from acting. 

He has aged like fine wine. 

31 minutes ago, Soap-princess said:

This pretty much ended once Kay Alden was fired. Lol

+ 1