RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I read the report, the whole thing, over the weekend. I had previously known that she suffered from clinical depression & that it was very bad. But, the PTSD & being bipolar, well, that was news to me. Such a load for so small a petite woman to carry on her shoulders most of the time. I said at the time that maybe some more people would get just how bad it can be when you give up on your life the day before you are made a part of the Country Music Hall of Fame. Made me sad again.

• Members

from richard rote’s ny times obit. 

richard roat obit

Mr. Roat played Dr. Jerry Chandler during 172 episodes of “The Doctors” and told The Portland Press Herald that he felt grateful for the opportunity to act regularly.

There’s room for less than one percent of the new actors in nighttime television,” he said. “Unless you’re a ‘regular’ and get a running assignment for a season-long series, your chances in nighttime television are practically nil.”

• Members
I went to Daytime Confidential yesterday to listen to part of their podcast. I was after the part about 2 August passings - Michael Malone & Nelson Branco. I did not stay for talk about B&B or any other show.

Began with OLTL & MM's first tenure there. Some of the best era of high drama, story-telling & situations. Some magazine said that the work was too good to be called a soap & wasn't that a grand compliment & a horrible insult at the same time! Billy Douglas & his friends, coming out, the AIDS quilt, the backlash against Andrew & the quilt, Andrew's brother. And, then Todd, Marty, gang rape, trial, Nora.

Then they said they got pushback from the network & MM felt it was no use to fight them but JG who was nothing but a breakdown writer on the team was passionate about it & went into battle with the network for MM's vision of the writing. The conflict escalated because ABC saw huge chemistry between Todd & Marty & wanted to make them the next Luke & Laura. MM not only said NO but, HELL NO. Absolutely not. We will NOT be making a hero out of a rapist. MM was said to be passionate about the work, an artist & very sensitive to issue like what had happened at GH with L&L.

Next up, EW (OLTL was) "airing some of the most literate drama". By the time MM was ready to leave, the show as averaging 5 mil a day & then there was a huge loss in ratings when he left.

About Nelson Branco, they said that first off they, and many people, thought it was a hoax. One said, Nelson was pulling a Sally Field, to find out, "You like me. You really like me." Another said he was pulling a Katherine chancellor. They said, of course, what a loss it was & how he was too too young. 48 years young.
Edited by Tonksadora
correction

• Members

The tribute concert for the late Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters featured many artists including Paul McCartney and Chrissie Hynde, but the showstopper was a very emotional performance from Hawkins' 16-year-old son on drums (video below). There was also a nod on the shared drumset I thought @DRW50in particular might enjoy:

Dave Grohl has really been through it over the years.

• Members

I've watched this 4 times so far. I expect to watch it more. Totally blows me away!

A Celebration of Robyn Griggs Wiley's Life will be held Saturday, Sept. 10th. I will be getting information about it being live-streamed & will post that.

Edited by Tonksadora
Found out a date.