RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just heard the news about the passing of Pelé (Edson Arantes do Nascimento) as close as anyone to a genuine King of Futból. He really did originate the era of the “beautiful game” that the best Brazilian players were known for. No player has equaled his World Cup record. No one. R.I.P.

Although I have my issues with Neymar (with good reason) but I cannot argue with his appraisal of Pelé’s influence and appeal, whose impact lasted for generations and beyond Brazil’s borders.

• Members

However you feel about her, Barbara certainly changed the game for women in journalism, and was very intelligent at reintroducing herself to generations of viewers over a 60 year career in front of the camera. Rest in peace. 

I had wondered if we'd get another big celebrity passing before the year ended. 

• Members

Barbara Walters was an original. I fondly recall her last day on The View when every noteworthy female television journalist, including those on other networks, people she may have clashed with professionally, all came on stage and gave her a hug, one by one, each acknowledging that she had paved the way. And that is the indisputable truth about Barbara Walters - she did pave the way and she did shatter a glass ceiling. She got there by being tough, tenacious, and ambitious. She made her life happen. 

Please register in order to view this content