SOW article about OLTL's '2 secrets revealed'

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It all makes sense with David being the one who accidently shot someone..who turns out to be John's father. I like the idea of how Higley will entwine this story together. Just hope it all plays out great. I am sure it will.

Wasn't the case at all. I wasnt just handpicking HIS comment out.

• Members

Love the David/Paige stuff. Probably one of the best stories concieved by Higley in the history of her life. However, the Jess/Tess stuff? So contrived and stupid. I, too, would have preferred the trauma stemming from Mitch and Haver.

• Members

I love that Higley created all these good secrets that are taking their time to reveal. The ones left are the absolute truth behind Tess/Jessica and the story behind the woman Spencer wants to avenge. I love OLTL lately, there is so much story that there's never a moment of quiet.

• Members

In Higley's defense and I won't rise to it often, abuse and molestation almost always seems to be where everything seems normal. While we have watched Jessica grow up, there is always a different angle to throw in. There are closed doors as viewers that we've not been on the other side of. However, the Niki being out when Jess was that age is a bit much. And hidden? Viki's integration not being successful is really weak in this storyline.

• Members

I'm in the minority about this, but I think these two spoilers really sound good. Of course I predicted it would molestation. Though having it be an event that occured while she was held captive by Mitch, would have been better. I'm going to enjoy watching all of this play out on screen.

• Members

Higley responded to the fact that Vicki underwent integration in her interview with DAn Coleridge in TVGuide.com in the latter part of last year. Here is part of that interview where she is asked about Nikki and her alters:

She clearly knew that Vicki's personalities had been integrated but chose to ignore it I guess. As she said how could you do this story and not revisit Nikki.

I get so tired of writers ignoring history to sell a story.

• Members

Hmm. I guess I could go for that. Nikki always seemed to have a life of her own, much in the same Tess did. In fact, I've been waiting to find out the Tess' last name is Smith, and it hasn't happened. I expected that. Due to her excessive personalities, I can buy complete integration not having happened. And Nikki being the most prominent alternate personality, I can definitely see.

Way back when this story was first coming around, I often wondered if Jessica's conception, which was by rape of Viki by Mitch based on recent history. Now, I don't know if Viki had a specific alter pop up to deal with this part, but what if Niki existed to protect her from this truth? Again, I know very little of pre-2004. I tihnk this story would be/have been stronger had Jessica's conception and therefore, her existence given reason for Niki to stick around. Consider that the truth of Viki's rape didn't come out until recently, THEN Niki being around all this time would make sense. This would indicate she may have been integrated (or appeared to have been). During the time that she wasn't, because of the rape trauma, Jessica being taken to bars by Niki and being molested or whatever did indeed happen to Jessica is totally sellable, IMO. Of course, if I'm completely off in the rape stuff, this wouldn't work. But as far as my knowledge, that didn't come out until Natalie's heritage was revealed and, thus, Jessica's true paternity, as well. Niki's hate for Clint could be yet another great level. Her allowing Mitch to rape Viki could be her way to slight Clint. The pregnancy on top of it all -- yeah. Unfortunately, Higley didn't set this course. Did Niki and Mitch ever have any sort of relationship, romantic, platonic, anything? Anybody's thoughts?

• Members

Keith, I have trouble with Nikki not being integrated with the other personalities, but Higley is not the first writer to ignore that important piece of Vicki's history.

Higley coud have made it more believable if Nikki was in the know on the secret or knew what happened to Jessica. Then I could have bought Niikki fighting to stay out to keep people from knowing what she did or something. I don't know it all gets too confusing to even try to figure out.

All of this is another reason I hate these type of rewrites and all, because we as an audience have to suspend reality in order to believe them. Because if you ever stop to figure it all out, you get a headache or get disgusted trying to do so.

• Members

Well again, Higley's mistake was making us believe Nikki knew something and then have her say she doesn't and apparently she does? Goes back to my suggestion. By connecting her specifically to Jessica in some way, you connect her directly to Tess and that adds a lessened need for suspending disbelief, because Nikki staying out, yet off-screen, has reason and merit. I don't expect intelligence from Higley. She's a dreamland writer. Always has been.

Archived