E.T. The Extraterrestrial REUNION Commercial from XFINITY

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

E.T. was probably just humoring them. 

I thought it was a very sweet commercial - one of my relatives asked where Drew Barrymore was, but that probably would have been a very tall order. Even after all these years Henry Thomas still had the right heart for the role. 

• Members

Well, if this ad goes over as well as we all think it might, there's a chance that another ad could be done in the future and perhaps Barrymore could be in that one.  It's fitting though, that this ad is focused on Henry Thomas' character and family.

Please register in order to view this content

at E.T. humoring the lackluster outdated tech that the Earthlings use, lol.

• Members

Henry Thomas has been a sturdy, dependable character actor as an adult for years with no IRL drama* and too little notice, but it's his work in Mike Flanagan's stuff like The Haunting of Hill House and his surprise role which shall go unnamed in Doctor Sleep (a role no one would want to fill the shoes of, but he did very well) that prove how impressive he really is. I'm glad he's been getting more props lately.

(* - he did have a surprising DUI recently; I hope he's well as he's always seemed low-key and without Hollywood baggage)

• Members

...And that's perfectly fine, Khan.

It's not as if Legends of the Fall is Godfather I, II or Network.  At its basic level, it's an aesthetically pleasing, reasonably entertaining, popcorn movie that probably has this effect solely when seen on a big screen.  

The cast and the Western backdrop was mostly what lured me into the cinema.

• Members

You might be the only one who's said that to me, lol.

It's not that I'm a "film snob," because there are a LOT of BAD movies that I would watch again no matter what.  As the 1980's gave way to the 1990's, however, I just grew bored with movies in general. 

On one end, you had the blockbusters, such as "Titanic," that felt hollow and cynical to me -- as if they were more about special effects and promotional tie-ins than they were about storytelling. (Spielberg's stuff was an exception -- although, after "Schindler's List," his movies became more and more ponderous, and boring.)  On the other end, you had the indie films, which my generation in particular made popular ("Clerks" and "Reality Bites" immediately come to mind), but which came off as pretentious and arty.

For someone who cut his teeth, so to speak, on MGM musicals from the '30's, '40's and '50's, it gets difficult with every passing year to find a contemporary movie that I actually want to watch.

• Members

The good news is, it's gotten worse in the last few years.

TBH, after the mid '00s, I just haven't gone out to the movies nearly as much as I used to. These days, I sort of find myself mostly waiting for the movies to come to me and with streaming, it really isn't that difficult to do.  Add to that, "TV" (90% which is on streaming platforms) feels a lot higher in artistic integrity than most of what's being played in the movie theater.  The escalating prices (as with most things) for a ticket don't help matters either. 

• Members

If any of you have time to kill, this block of commercials (there are about 7 I think) has a ton of ET stuff with Sears to coincide with the airing on TV. I was bewildered to see they even had a special where kids could go into their 'portrait studio' to sit on a bike and take a photo with the fake ET on their basket. Were any kids doing that by 1991?