Toups

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The Adam show is killin' it.  Go Y&R!  Unfortunately - it's too late to fix it.  I wouldn't have believed I would say this - I say, last soap to go will be Y&R as early as 2022.  BB I think they'll try to leave as a web series as long as they can because of overseas markets.  GH, and DAYS, never watched but they're lucky that Michael Strahan on ABC is struggling, and syndication on NBC stations are not doing well.  They may very well outlast Y&R and BB.  But I wouldn't put it past ABC to bring on 100,000 Pyramid with Strahan in the afternoon - they've been trying out gameshows.  Deal or No Deal.  Gameshows.  It's not looking good for daytime with cheap shows to run like Tamron Hall and Kelly Clarkson doing decently with much much less expense than soaps.  

• Members

Because they deserve it.  If a show is horrible the ratings should drop.  Do you keep going to a restaurant that has served you bad food repeatedly?  Go to a used car lot that repeatedly sells you clunkers?  It's the only way things could possibly change is for management to notice and make changes.  The problem is that with soaps, people generally don't come back, and younger viewers are not watching the way they did when I grew up.  There's no stopping the dying but at least they could try to be good.  Y&R was just bad - absolutely nothing going on when I stopped watching (maybe it's very exciting now - don't care), and B&B - people watch because it's a train wreck and I tune in once in a while just to laugh.

I missed this post until I just saw @Fevuh’s response. Yes, I ENJOY seeing the ratings falling. Especially when idiots are being paid over a million dollars a year to write dreck. Josh Griffith’s boring writing does not justify his salary. He’s WAY overpaid. His Y&R is so dull  and not worthy of my time. His writing sucks and I am glad that Y&R’s ratings keep falling. 

• Members

Y&R (and perhaps B&B) still has enough viewership and importance to the overall prosperity of CBS Daytime, where if their Nielsen ratings are suffering, there is a concerted effort to make changes. So a nosedive in numbers will hopefully be a wakeup call for them, versus letting it die out. 

Side note: I remember when Sunset Beach was all happy earning a 2.5 for their Summer of '98 Earthquake/Tsunami storyline. A 2.5 rating, but 11 out of 11 soaps. Oh how things change... 

• Members

And their demos were probably far better.  GL had better demographics with it's terrible ratings than any of these today.  That's what's most shocking to me...how bad the show looked but had far better demos than this.  The audience is literally dying off and no one new is tuning in.  But traditional network is dying off.  Even nighttime soaps.  Was just talking to a friend of mine the other day about Melrose Place (I was never into Beverly Hills 90210 - I was in college at the time and never got into it even though the actors and actresses were my age - high school was behind me) - but when Melrose was trashy good, it was water cooler talk.  I'm gay, and the bar I used to go to had "Melrose Mondays", and it was absolutely packed and they showed it on the big projector screen.  Such good memories.  

• Members

I've heard of that before! lol I seem to remember reading a story where on the debut of season 4 when Kimberly blew up the apartment complex, the whole bar erupted in cheers when Alison Parker went flying across the room. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Yes - I'm DC - bar was JR's who sponsored our softball team.  Ellen's coming-out episode was gigantic also...

Whenever Matt would be in a scene the bartenders would take their cocktail strainers or any bar spoon - up and down the bottles on the shelves to make noise. So fun.

• Errol unpinned this topic