GH and Y&R Casting News

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Tonight was Gina’s farewell party and the actors on posting about it on social media. It seems since this was announced that it’s clear just how well liked she was by the cast. They all seem stunned and disappointed. It’s not everyday you see this type of reaction from a cast when someone leaves.

I wonder how it’ll be for Michelle Stanford stepping back on that set, especially considering the way she left. They’re losing someone they loved working with for someone who could be difficult and trashed the show when she left. Lord if only they had a reality show. One thing I will say is that I expect the best performances of Michelle Stafford’s career. From the lack of acknowledgement of her Y&R return, I feel she’s seen the outrage and knows she’s gonna have to EARN that role back!

• Members

It's certainly a bizarre situation - I don't think I've ever seen such a lukewarm reaction to an original actor returning to a long-running role on a soap. Yes, Stafford is the original and definitive Phyllis, but she was successfully recast and is now in the position where she has to prove herself in a role she created. It also doesn't help she's coming off a role from another soap that wasn't very well received and where her performances weren't met with much acclaim. 

From what I've posted, you'd assume I never liked Stafford in the role, but she did have some great years, up until about 2006/2007 or so. Something about her changed after that hideous pairing with Nick/Josh Morrow, and I can't put my finger on it as to why. Oddly, I think she started to come alive again before she left the last time - when Griffith actually put Phyllis back with Jack. But Stafford clearly hated it, and I was happy that JFP didn't cater to her or put up with that sh!t. 

I will give Gina major credit for never phoning it in, even when much of the writing was terrible. Because she could objectively portray the character, it made the character feel real again. She will be missed on this show and in this role by a ton of people. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

@BetterForgotten I agree with everything you posted. I LOVED Phyllis until the Nick pairing. I didn’t mind the affair and the chemistry was there but that’s when she went from being an outsider to an insider and that destroyed the character. I also feel that’s what killed Kevin for me. It’s hard to accept people being so bad and then suddenly they’re pillars of the community. I do agree that towards the end she was on fire. I loved the return to her feud with Christine and the pairing with Jack. She finally felt like Phyllis again. 

Time will tell what happens, but this is easily the most unnecessary recast in years. It better be worth it because I’m sure it wasn’t cheap. 

• Members

I am not sure what the big deal is, Gina was well liked, a very popular recast, of course her co stars are upset, she got fired after the cast suffered a major loss but they know it's a business, they know how things roll.  It's kinda in poor taste for the cast to be gushing bout MS while still taping with GT, especially since yr hasn't even officially announced the switch, nor has MS lol   MS doesn't have to prove anything, it's her role, and not the first time she stepped b was ck into it after a popular recast

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by rlj

• Members

I’m guessing Griffith is going to try Phyllis/Jack part 10. The last time he wrote the show with Staff in the role, he made it clear that Jack and Phyllis were “soulmates.”

I’d rather they create a brand new love interest for this character rather than Jack or Nick. Or just have her in non-romantic stories for a while.

• Members

If Griffith were going with Jack/Phyllis, Gina wouldn't have been fired as her version of Phack was very popular as is Phyllis and Billy.  JG has given Jack a new LI, kinda obvious where Griffith is headed, stay woke

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Agreed. She's a talented actress. I think folks just think it sucks a worthless character like Nina is being recast (thanks #PettyFrank) so they're forgetting how great Watros can be. JMO ... as @SamandWillowfan said I can see why they cast her. She's the better choice overall, IMHO. I'm just mad because she may make me actually like Nina ... LOL.

You say that, yet you keep reacting. You clearly have lots of shits to give about it  "Stay woke"

• Members

Phyllis’s pairing had nothing to do with the actress switch. They wanted the original actress back regardless of who they were pairing her with. Stafford’s version of Phack was popular too and that’s what cemented Phyllis as a long term character on the show. The last time Griffith wrote for Stafford was the Phack reunion

I do wonder how much time we’ll have between Gina and Michelle. Will Phyllis be off for a month or so before being reintroduced and sent in a potentially different situation? Whatever it is, I don’t expect Stafford to have nearly the same influence on her stories as she tried to the last time she was on.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Gina never phoned it in. I think she chewed her own scenery at times, but she's very very talented. I've always liked Gina. But I feel like her Kelly, Dinah and Phyllis were all kind of similar in many ways, but to each their own. She seemed VERY well liked by the cast. MS seems polarizing and the cast hasn't exactly rolled out the welcome mat. I don't think Y&R expected such a backlash to the decision, but let's not pretend Gina would fly to her job forever; if she didn't move to LA for the show she was never going to. So they saw an opportunity and took it.

Stafford seems much more at home and "friendly" with the GH cast, who seemed quite sad she was out. It's really like night and day. Maybe she humbled a bit? I doubt it but who knows?

Exactly.

RLJ is living his own narrative.

Stafford and Bergman were very popular together but she resented being paired with him and not a strapping young hunk, apparently. Stafford made demands and I assume she did the same on GH which is why they said "Bye Felicia"

My guess is they go back to Phyllis and Nick, which just makes them both obnoxious. I despised that pairing past the initial affair.

Edited by KMan101