The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Diane Sawyer is facing major backlash over a harsh 2003 interview she did with Britney Spears:

https://www.newsweek.com/diane-sawyer-backlash-britney-spears-interview-2003-1567902

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/britney-spears-diane-sawyer-interview-231202374.html

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

^ Times have changed, as has their relationship to Britney Spears and journalism overall. Journalists are the enemy now. Society now understands that Britney is not someone to be vilified anymore, and now someone who people should have treated more kindly. 

I was a huge fan of Britney during 2003, but I remember a lot of people disliked her and hated her once she matured into a young woman. She was shamed for being too sexual and being too provocative (not unlike Madonna during her "Sex" era), and Diane Sawyer was just one aspect of that culture shaming her for it. Britney was constantly harassed for not being virginal enough, and being too sexual for her audiences, and she wasn't allowed to "fight back", because she had to be the good girl and take the scolding. It was more important for people during that time to shame a woman, than it was to ask journalist to adhere to ethical standards. Sawyer just embodied the cultural zeitgeist at the moment.

That doesn't age well with where we are in 2021. So progress I guess? 

• Members

I think until recent years many still clung to the idea that these 'journalists' were above us, instead of being phony muckrakers. The same happened with Diane Sawyer's infamous Whitney Houston interview, where, yes, Whitney was all over the place, but people remembered the Whitney quotes to laugh at rather than remembering how Sawyer baited her and goaded her from the start.

That breathy vapidity was perfect. I miss Jan so much.

• Members

A round of +1’s too all!

This reminds me of what a deeply confusing, yet fascinating time the early 00’s were. In soaps, in politics, in fashion, in pop culture...When all is said and done, it’s hard to even say how this era will be remembered. Haven’t seen too much nostalgia for it at all that’s for sure.

Speaking of media from that era Justin Timberlake is also getting well deserved major pushback as well between Janet Jackson Appreciation Day for the Super Bowl and the Spears documentary as the media has been so easy on Timberlake to give him free passes:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ehisosifo1/justin-timberlake-britney-spears-problematic-moments

No wonder his marriage to Jessica Biel is allegedly on the rocks at the moment.  

Edited by soapfan770