The Media/Journalism Thread

• Members

I'm unfamiliar with the names and history of a lot of journalists. I've tried to notice bylines a lot more in the past few months, but I don't know the reporters' backhistory.

I've seen posts in the politics thread mentioning that Olivia Nuzzi has a bias.

I have no idea who she is, other than her twitter bio (and wiki page) saying she's a Washington correspondent for New York magazine.

Tell me more.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

"Thought leaders" like the loathsome and deeply phony Matt Taibbi. What a joke. 

I never thought much of Larry King as an interviewer (he was mostly an anti-interviewer), but he could be entertaining. Norm Macdonald's impression of him on SNL never gets old. 

More right wing media shilling. It makes me more mad every time this stuff is pushed. They will do anything to help Republicans.

• Members

And the Democrats, of course, will heed the advice and accede to the GOP, instead of just dusting them off their shoulders and moving on.

I know I've said this in the past, but I really miss the Clintons' take-no-prisoners approach to government.  They seemed like the only liberals who knew how to fight as dirty as conservatives.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I had read about a New York Times editor being fired this week due to conservative backlash. I had wondered why, only to learn that it's because she said she got chills from seeing Biden's plane take off, and also made and then deleted a tweet about Trump not letting him have Air Force One. That's it. She is getting ugly threats, on top of losing her job, and the "paper of record" kicks her when she's down. This is a "paper of record" that, among other things, currently has a truly mind-boggling scandal involving Michael Barbaro (someone I actually had some respect for, but not a whole lot at this point) and his reaction to criticism of the downright dangerous and fradulent Caliphate podcast.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/12/955873886/public-radio-stations-rebuke-times-for-ethical-lapses-related-to-caliphate-podca

• Members

This Caliphate thing keeps growing and growing, just like the drip-drip of the Capitol siege reveal (which is why Mitch slow-walking the impeachment for two weeks was IMO a mistake for the GOP - that story will keep getting bigger). I would love to see it result in real damage like the Cotton affair, only this time towards Dean Baquet.

• Members

I loved Larry King Live. For decades Larry was the 'go to' guy for a softball interview where a high profile person could get their point across. It was because he was a softball interviewer that Larry had the access he did. Many of those who went on his show failed to realize that what Larry did was give you miles of rope, if they hung themselves that was their own fault. Nobody enjoyed being a broadcaster as much as he did. His coverage of OJ was probably his peak - everyone wanted to speak to him, he was so LA nobody could touch him.