All My Children questionaire (please help my thesis)

EricMontreal22

• Members

I was trying to find an example online, but had no luck. I remember they showed it one day early in my viewing history, and I looked over at my cousin, and she said, "Yeah, sometimes he has visions." I think we both rolled our eyes and went on watching.

On another note, while searching for the example, apparently Jeremy died on loving by being encased in cement??

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually that could be true with Jeremy--initially they played up his mystical Buddhist (?) monk history. 

Yes, that was part of the infamous Loving Murders (the only serial killer storyline I've genuinely enjoyed) where everyone died in inventive ways (they were meant to be painless though Jeremy's never sounded painless to me).  It made everyone suspect the Loving Murderer was Gilbert, Jeremy's evil twin (!) that had been introduced the year before (by Agnes Nixon during her fun year long return as HW--for all Nixon gets praised about social storylines she sure loved her soap tropes like doppelgangers) but he returned and was cleared. 

Here ya go some video!:

• Members

I forgot Darnell had come to Loving as Jacob!

What a horrible ending for that character. Yeah, not exactly quick and painless. I do remember catching commercials regarding Gilbert. She did play that hand a bit too often (Kitty/Kelly, Adam/Stuart, Jeremy/Gilbert, Natalie/Janet, Tad/Ted, Anna/Alex, Erica/Jane...)

• Members

But I don't think Loving had had a double yet, so maybe she felt it was about time

Please register in order to view this content

Yeah, I mean I'm not sure all of those can be blamed on her, but at least the majority can (Erica/Jane prob wasn't her idea, who knows about Anna/Alex that was just odd and I felt they should have just kept to one character--which they did, and I can't remember if Tad/Ted was under McTavish or not).  And often I found it very entertaining, but...  (What's funny is FM Behr reportedly fired McTavish at the start of 1995 because they felt her stories were getting too based around big events and gimmicks including doubles (she had just done the Will lookalike gaslighting Dixie story which largely bombed--oh and the Janet bombing story that had to be changed due to a real bombing).  Actually, she might have created Jacob for Loving as well--I know while she wasn't HW at the time it was her idea to bring Angie there. 

The macabre Loving Murder deaths (inspired by slasher films I guess--as well as Ten Little Indians and perhaps partly the inspiration for JER's serial killer story on DAYS) were over the top but I thought actually worked.  Of course a reason was that the conclusion actually made sense and had emotional resonance, and that, since they were clearing the cast for The City, anyone was fair game.

• Members

You'd think those involved would be eager to tell fans what they had planned, but due to both wanting to keep things secret I guess (even if PP doesn't even own the rights anymore) and probably also not caring or wanting to discuss it, they've kept quiet.  I mean even grumpy old Sam Hall wrote an article for Dark Shadows fans to wrap up the stories

So very bizarre about the replacements in the first place...

• Members

I started watching AMC in the early 2000's because my mother did. The first storyline I vividly remember was the baby switch crossover with OLTL. I eventually fell out of the show because my mother did, but later picked it up again around 2008(ish) because my sister was an avid fan and I fell into it watching at her house.

I wasn't aware of writers/producers for ANY soap, really (even my staple show GH), until I joined SON in the fall of 2009 and began interacting with everyone here. Throughout the 2000's I had grown increasingly fascinated with soaps, watching old YouTube clips and episodes, reruns on SoapNet, etc. as soaps were a HUGE part of the inspiration for me to pursue and education and career in writing.

I do think of AMC slightly differently than other soaps, because it was the one I acquired a love for in a very different way than the others. Much of my introduction to the show and later love for it happened retroactively, especially due to my love for Skye Chandler Quartermaine, which inspired me to go back and become much more informed on the show's history. Eventually, the characters and storylines of Pine Valley began to hold a very special place in my heart, and by the end of its run I was an avid viewer.

Hope this helped in some way. Best of luck to you.

Archived