Daytime Firsts

• Members

I really got that wrong then!  I grew up in eastern PA, and I recall two stations airing Oprah's show at 4 p.m.  One of them, WPVI, the Philadelphia ABC affiliate, never aired EON, as far as I can recall.  I used to watch EON on WNEP, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton ABC affiliate at 10:30 a.m. toward the end of its run.  I am only familiar with Lee Sheldon as head writer of the show.  I apologize for getting the details mixed up.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not to quibble, but on radio at least, The Guiding Light began on NBC in 1937 and then later switched to CBS.

The first attempted homosexual rape was on Love of Life, when Ben Harper was assaulted in prison.

The first pedophile on daytime TV (1976) was the superintendent in Trish Clayton's apartment building, who was initially suspected in abusing her.

I would consider the 1974 confrontation between Alice and Rachel, when Alice went berserk, lunged at Rachel and started throwing various objects at her (I was sorry she missed!) to be a catfight. 

UGH, how I loathed Rachel!

• Members

Is St. Croix the first semi-foreign on-location filming?

Also, @vetsoapfan I've always solidly been a Rachel fan over Alice.  If a man never called his girlfriend by her preferred name (Alice insisted on "Steven" never Steve), interfered in her business (Alice almost ruined Frame Construction), and made her hire his drunk brother-in-law, we would think he was a creep, but Alice did all of those things.  She was also a tease and used her privilege to demean Rachel.  In retrospect, I think she was more mean that Iris because at least Iris was honest about what she wanted. (total tangent; sorry)

• Members

Um...no.

Who ever said that Steve wanted Alice to call him "Steve" over "Steven"? He never did. It was just a natural habit for her to call him "Steven", and if he didn't mind, why should I? Or you?

Please register in order to view this content

I have a friend named Michael whom everyone else calls "Mikey" or even "Mike-o" (UGH), but I've always called him Michael. A time or two, when I slipped and used "Mike", he instantly winced and said, "Nooooooooooo. Call me Michael like you always do. That's our thing." No problem. Same idea for Mr. and Mrs. Frame.

John Randolph was not only a "drunken brother-in-law" to Steven (now I'm doing it out of reflex, LOL), he was one of Steve's very best friends, and quite competent most of the time the men worked together. After their falling out, Steve, himself, wanted John to come back to his firm, although that annoying Rachel kept sniping against the idea. As if it were ANY of her business! Alice was Steven's wife, she had every right to voice her opinion about his life and business, and it made sense that he would at least consider it, but Rachel was nothing to him. Even when he was married to Rachel, she was nothing to him. The reason she was such a total bitch for so many years was that she KNEW she meant nothing to the principle men in her life.

I don't know why you claim that Alice used her privilege to demean Rachel. Alice actively bent over backwards to be kind and patient with her when Rachel was lying to and abusing Russ and being such a skank. I watched the show daily from the beginning until about 1976 (when I was out of the house, I audio-recorded it), and never saw Alice being the guilty party.  Ever.

JMHO.

• Members

That's even more proof that my theory that the cancellation of EON contributed to the rise of Oprah was way wrong.  I never meant to derail this thread, but I have found the details mentioned interesting.  For example, I completely forgot about the existence of "Hour Magazine".

• Members

Just to add another first to your list, but I believe Love of Life was the first 15 minute soap to expand to 30 minutes in either in 1958 or 1960 I can't remember which one. SFT and GL held out until 1967, while TSS and TBD both expanded to 15 minutes both in the early '60's as well. 

• Members

That's what I thought too. It wasnthe storyline where she kept her race hidden till it was revealed by running into her mother Sadie. 

Nikki Reed Newman on Y&R is the first stripper on daytime that I recall.

Was Jill on Y&R daytimes first paid companion of a rich older woman ?

Archived