Y&R Actress out?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL!!

I can't help it, MCE just bugs the crap out of me.

Every time I see her on-screen, the same two words spring to mind: "trophy wife."  And if she isn't one, then she should be, b/c that's all that tramp is good for.

• Members

YES! And it is crazy that a medium which is watched mostly by women is propagating this misogynist double-standard.

The writers toeing the line on this mess have been both women (Pissanante, Altman) as well as men (Guza & Pratt were the most egregious of the 'bros before hoes' writers). Because they either think their audience is dumb and backward. Or they actually believe that women are nuts, and males are superior and inherently more likeable.

• Members

I've been saying this for years, even before I became a member of this board.

It's a big problem and it's a big reason why soaps have lost a lot of viewers.

People can cite O.J., reality TV and women working outside the home forever and a day but the fact that soaps have, by and large, failed to adapt to changing times is as important a reason as the others for the drop-off in loyal viewers (or even attracting new ones).

Network broadcast TV in general has been slow to recognize changes which is why cable and streaming has leapt ahead.

• Members

I also think that viewers have been conditioned to think this way by previous storylines.

Just as stories have been written to show this perspective, stories can be re-written to show a different perspective. It would take some time and relentless effort (something these shows seem to be in short supply of these days) but it is possible.

• Members

Totally. And soaps have used the slashed-budgets excuse for failing to adapt. The people at the top don't want to adapt and have this mentality where they look down on their audience AND women in general.

Women can be judgey, sure -- but so can men. I think it is too simplistic to call female viewers judgemental of other women. We are not one-dimensional in our perceptions of female characters, and I think that is illustrated in viewing figures for the most popular shows on TV (both on network TV and cable/streaming). Many of these shows have strong, female leads or POVs, and are watched mostly by a female demographic. (It is in cinema, not TV, where women are failing to see their experiences or stories reflected).

I think back to the late 70s Another World episodes I have watched on YouTube, or the soaps I grew up watching in the 80s and 90s. Smart, strong women were front and center -- and these characters were trailblazers. It was thrilling to watch as a kid, and even when the stories were super crazy, these female characters blazed with their realness. This felt like an aspirational medium for a girl like me, and not a depressing one. The only time I started to feel angry about a female character was when Guza started glorifying Carly on GH bullying every other female in her wake as some kind of 'strong woman' ideal. Carly spoke of not being able to get along with other females, and it was such a badge of honor. Maybe it was around this time that soaps' priorities started changing. Certainly on the ABC shows there felt a shift, a certain nasty edge creeping in.

• Members

My opinion wasn't limited to soaps. I'm talking every day living. Women judge other women by a higher standard than they do men. Though I do think sentiments are changing somewhat. But I'm disheartened by the last political cycle and exit polling. (this isn't meant to become a political discussion but only citing that as supporting documentation for my opinion). 

Archived