Jump to content

Jessica Chastain negotiates for Octavia Spencer!


ChitHappens

Recommended Posts

  • Members

It has always troubled me that POC have been left out of this pay gap movement so I was beyond delightful to see someone use their privilege to right these egregious wrongs!  Chastain will forever be overrated to me but she gets major kudos!  

 

Octavia will now get 5 xs her rate for the upcoming project with Chastain!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

On the one hand, it's good to see Chastain "walk the walk," as OS put it.  But, OTOH, why is it always up to some kind, well-meaning, white "limousine liberal" to do even one of us a favor?  IDK, it just leaves a slightly sour taste in my mouth to know that, once again, a Black person (and a woman, at that) owes a White person (and another woman, at that) a debt of gratitude.  But that's just something I need to work through.

Edited by Khan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Because no one wants to jump on a movement that benefits POC. The #MeToo was all about white women not wanting to be sexually assaulted and wanting equal pay while ignoring how much lower POC are paid and assaulted. 

 

Like men are expected to stand up and help make changes to make things better for [white]women, white America has to step to the plate to help out POC, especially since they're the oppressors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 minutes ago, ChitHappens said:

Because no one wants to jump on a movement that benefits POC. The #MeToo was all about white women not wanting to be sexually assaulted and wanting equal pay while ignoring how much lower POC are paid and assaulted. 

 

Like men are expected to stand up and help make changes to make things better for [white]women, white America has to step to the plate to help out POC, especially since they're the oppressors. 

Actually #metoo was started by  Tarana Burke a WoC over 10 years ago and was hijacked. She's been credited in the media since but Time neglected to include her in their cover.

 

In 2006, Tarana Burke, founder and director of Just Be Inc. and senior director of Girls for Gender Equity, founded the program me too Movement. Its goal is to empower young women of color who have been sexually abused, assaulted, or exploited, women from marginalized communities. These are the women missing from media discussions of celebrity cases such as Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer, and Louis C.K. They are the survivors of sexual harassment and assault that occur in ordinary work spaces, or schools, churches, homes of friends or family members, or the streets of their neighborhoods. But they lack the resources, class status, or even the acceptable skin color to have their stories told. 

 

You can read more about it here.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/me-too-creator-tarana-burke-reminds-us-this-is-about-black-and-brown-survivors-20180104

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 hours ago, JaneAusten said:

Actually #metoo was started by  Tarana Burke a WoC over 10 years ago and was hijacked. She's been credited in the media since but Time neglected to include her in their cover.

 

And, you see, that -- the fact that the #MeToo movement has been hijacked by white women -- pisses me the hell off as well.  A WOC began the movement, and white America basically gave no [!@#$%^&*].  But, let a bunch of Beckies with good hair and hurt feelings co-opt Ms. Burke's work as their own, and suddenly, all of us -- men and women, black and white -- are supposed to be all, "Yeah! Womyn rawk!"

 

And you DO rock.  Most of you do, anyway.  But, you know, I'm with Luvvie: don't ask me to stand with you, white women, in my own pink !@#$%^&*] hat when 1) you've never made more than a minimal, begrudging effort to include us (meaning, all POC) at all the tables; and 2) I, personally, do not have the greatest history with or respect for you.

Edited by Khan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
30 minutes ago, Khan said:

 

And, you see, that -- the fact that the #MeToo movement has been hijacked by white women -- pisses me the hell off as well.  A WOC began the movement, and white America basically gave no [!@#$%^&*].  But, let a bunch of Beckies with good hair and hurt feelings co-opt Ms. Burke's work as their own, and suddenly, all of us -- men and women, black and white -- are supposed to be all, "Yeah! Womyn rawk!"

 

And you DO rock.  Most of you do, anyway.  But, you know, I'm with Luvvie: don't ask me to stand you, white women, in my own pink !@#$%^&*] hat when 1) you've never made more than a minimal, begrudging effort to include us (meaning, all POC) at all the tables; and 2) I, personally, do not have the greatest history with or respect for you.

AMEN. 

 

This article about a WoC who decided not to go to this years women's march says it all

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/why-this-black-girl-will-not-be-returning-to-the-womens-march_us_5a3c1216e4b0b0e5a7a0bd4b

 

This lack of intersectionality, with white women putting their interests first and not giving a darn about WoC goes back to the Suffragette movement. Look and see where that large Suffragette march in NYC in 1916 placed the black women. It hasn't changed since then. I do see some cracks in the surface, but the basic issue continues to be that white women will sell out to patriarchy far more easily than aligning with WoC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

LOVE this part:

 

Ninety-four percent of black women voted for Hillary Clinton, yet here we all are at a march, protesting the person you put in office, and we can’t even get you to affirm that yes, black lives do matter.

 

What hurts the most, though, is when women like my own mother, someone who has been perhaps the single biggest influence over my life, begin to listen to the usual, right-wing chuckleheads and think that, hey, maybe they had a point about HRC and Obama, "and why not ALL Lives Matter, instead of just Black ones?"  I just don't have enough Jesus in me to fight the particular demon that has infected her soul.

Edited by Khan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Jessica Chastain seems like a cool person and I'm glad she stepped up on behalf of Octavia Spencer.

 

I'm hoping that the day will soon come when these actions will be unnecessary to get pay equity.

Where studios and movie executives will recognize an actor that is both critically acclaimed and has provided big box office and pay her accordingly.

Edited by DramatistDreamer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy