LATEST RATINGS: December 18-22, 2017

Toups

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=49264

For the week ending Dec. 29

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS (which just celebrated 29 consecutive years as daytime’s #1 drama) delivered 4.80 million viewers, its largest weekly audience in nearly a year (since week of Jan. 6, 2017). The daytime series, currently in its 44th season, began its winning streak the week of Dec. 26, 1988.

THE BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL delivered 3.77 million viewers, its largest audience since the week ending Feb. 17, 2017.

I have a feeling GH and Days will rebound as well with it being the holidays.

• Members

The soaps just aren't good at the moment. I've lost major interest in all four of them. I haven't watched B&B in a long time. I haven't watched the last three weeks of GH. I've caught a bit of Y&R here and there but I have 12 episodes on the DVR ... (although reading the daily thread it seems the show hasn't been too bad in the last week or two)

DAYS is barely keeping me interested.

SIGH.

I'm just over the focus these shows have on the wrong characters, the lackluster plots, the lackluster lighting, the same sets over and over again ... I'm just losing interest

Please register in order to view this content

I'm starting to feel like others. Maybe it's time these shows wrapped things up. IDK. I'm torn on that because I don't want to lose them and I don't want people to lose their jobs but they really, truly, are shells of their former selves. I know many have been saying that for years, maybe even a decade now, but I'm finally there ....

Ron's DAYS is disappointing me the most, but it sounds like what we're seeing on-screen now is Bruce Evans' and Corday's interference, which explains the massive difference from Ron's July-November and December-now. And notice how Ron's not nearly as excited on Twitter as he once was? Why can't they just let him write? (He's also basically been forced to write for Rope and Chabby)

And while watching a slew of old episodes of ATWT, AMC, GL and AW on YouTube I've tried to imagine these shows still chugging along. For ATWT it's been 8 years since it ended, this year. GL it's been 9 years. AW it's been 19 years (let that one sink in for a minute). AMC it's seven years. 5 if you go from the 2013 reboot.

I've tried to imagine them still around and just have to wonder how gutted they'd be and maybe we really are better off with our memories. Of course they could have rebounded, but it doesn't seem likely considering the state of the other soaps.

• Members

Nice daily ratings for DAYS, IMO. They seem to be very consistent day to day. I feel like they're better than they were. I'd have to do a comparison. Can anyone do something for Ron's DAYS from July 19 to now? Just curious about them. Like I said, the days of big massive increases are dead. The soaps need to do what they're doing now, stay consistent. Dropping severely would not be good for any of these shows. But no network is going to sneeze at soaps still getting 4-2 million *a day*

I just don't know how much longer soaps can survive as is, with the lack of a budget. It's just not working. A format change needs to occur. Something significant needs to change these daytime shows for the better.

• Members

Say what now? 

Tell me more.

For me, I've been enjoying DAYS but there was a large gap space in my timing. But there's a few stories that I've been interested in seeing where they go.

Meanwhile...and I am sad to admit this...but Y&R has been good over the last week so much so that I actually started to watch Monday. 

I am sorry to hear you are not liking it much because I love seeing your comments. 

• Members

Aw I'm glad you love my comments. Always nice to hear. I enjoy yours as well.

I'm not hating Y&R and if I ignore that it's not the show it should be and used to be, it's not the worst I guess. I don't think we're at insane MAB levels or insane Pratt levels. Anyway, not hating it but I can't say they've grabbed me where I feel like I *have* to watch every day. I don't feel the urgency. Over Christmas and New Years I sort of fell out of the habit and got behind and just didn't feel the urge to catch up. I wish I had the urge.

I don't think DAYS is too bad, it's far more watchable with Ron writing than it has been in a long time. The problems for me are the pacing, the ridiculously low guarantees, the lack of interactions that make sense and give depth to characters and stories (this was never Ron's strongest point).

On one hand I like that Ron hasn't (or maybe he can't) axed everyone that was from the last regime (like other regimes have done), and he's fixed some things. He's made some others more interesting to a small degree with soapy plots. But several couples I just don't care for and I think there's been a lack of depth and character development in some of the younger characters, who have potential but aren't really being used to their full potential.

I guess I'd have liked more of a cast shakeup, more additions instead of just pop ins, but the pop ins are nice too and in some cases they work well.

I guess it's a mixed bag. I think with how  Ron handled his first couple of years at both OLTL and GH I expected a bit more. But DAYS has such a small budget ... sigh (not that the other two soaps had insanely high budgets either but Ron bloated their casts and I suppose DAYS is kind of getting there, with the horrible balance).

And in terms of the interference, I saw it on Daytime Royalty from a poster there that I have no reason to doubt. Who knows how true it is but it makes sense to me.

• Errol unpinned this topic

Archived