Dancing with the Stars: Discussion Thread

• Members

They never should have dumped Bergeron. I agree they needed someone with some warmth who could say, ala Erin Andrews, the "I've been there; I get it; great job" ... hence Alfonso. He's basically Bergeron 2.0 in their eyes (AFV/DWTS which is what Bergeron did for like a decade)

I'm a little puzzled by the move to Disney+, but it is an interesting one. I'd have dumped The Bachelor on Hulu or something instead. It's like they 'gave up' on Monday nights. Here's a Bachelor spin-off ... I will never understand the fascination with that show though I approve Jesse Palmer as Bachelor/ette host ...

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It’s a scourge. Even for CBS, I believe Big Brother and Survivor are now their biggest series in the demos alongside Ghosts and Young Sheldon. (NCIS still dominates in total viewers. I think FBI does well in both.)

I used to enjoy the Bachelor universe, but like most reality franchises, it became more and more overproduced to keep topping the last season. (I’m still doing Drag Race and Housewives, but I’m a little burned out.)

• Members

By putting DWTS online only there is one good factor, the voting. Once the show started being on only one night a week, and they decided to only count votes made during the show, much of the country couldn’t vote or if they did it was based on who they liked and not on the dances. They stopped using the votes from the prior week for the current week, as that also was annoying…if the US had one time zone or they showed DWTS on tv live everywhere then voting would have been more inclusive as only people in California who saw the routines were in studio or watching on the seas so to speak.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

S31 cast announced:

• Fitness model and actor Joseph Baena, son of Arnold Schwarzenegger, with partner Daniella Karagach
  • Selma Blair with partner Sasha Farber
  • Let’s Make a Deal host Wayne Brady with partner Witney Carson
  • Good Morning America contributor and WABC-TV New York’s weather anchor Sam Champion, with partner Cheryl Burke
  • TikTok star Charli D’Amelio with partner Mark Ballas
  • Heidi D’Amelio (The D’Amelio Show) with partner Artem Chigvintsev
  • Country star Jessie James Decker with partner Alan Bersten
  • Actor Trevor Donovan (90210) with partner Emma Slater
  • Actor Daniel Durant (CODA) with partner Britt Stewart
  • Teresa Giudice (The Real Housewives of New Jersey) with partner Pasha Pashkov
  • Vinny Guadagnino (Jersey Shore) with partner Koko Iwasaki
  • Cheryl Ladd (Charlie’s Angels) with partner Louis van Amstel
  • Actor Jason Lewis (Sex and the City) with partner Peta Murgatroyd
  • Drag queen superstar Shangela with partner Gleb Savchenko
  • Platinum recording artist Jordin Sparks with partner Brandon Armstrong
  • Gabby Windey (The Bachelorette) with partner Val Chmerkovskiy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Katie Campione

It looks like ABC made the right decision handing “Dancing With the Stars” off to Disney+ in favor of Monday Night Football.

During primetime Monday, the broadcast network posted a whopping 3.5 in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic and 12.1 million total viewers broadcasting the NFL matchup between Minnesota Vikings vs. the Philadelphia Eagles.

For comparison, season 30 of “DWTS” (the last to air on ABC) averaged a 0.74 in the demo and about 5 million total viewers.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I feel like they've never been able to replicate the tone of the UK version of Strictly Come Dancing.  On that show there are more live performances, the results are more immediate, and there's still a bit of camp. 

More than Tyra, for me, it is the attempt to redeem GOP politicians and the various random changes in the format that has turned me off to the show. 

When a reviled public figure is cast in the UK, it is done with humor and a bit of taking the bluster out of their persona.  In the US it seems like they are either trying to humanize the pol or, worse yet, ignore the issues that made them controversial.  

• Members

Because no one saw what a train wreck her time was at AGT <coughs>  I've never watched DWTS. but I said the same things to friends about Tyra hosting AGT --awful.  Replacing her with Terry Crewes invigorated that show.  Hough's stint was less than watchable.  Good luck to the fans they have left.

Edited by slick jones