Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

So, lets just say someone said a few months back: "I want Marla Adams back as Dina."

People would say no, there is no reason for Dina to return. This would end up being a mess. I don't want to see Dina ever again, I want to have my memories from the eighties and the nineties.

So far I haven't seen something that would make me think that TPTB wouldn't even bother with Leslie. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If the writing is bad, of course, it's never good for ANY of the characters, regardless of their race. William J. Bell could write for any anyone. The characters' ethnic background did not limit his understanding of the human condition. Other, less competent scribes? Not so much. The writing for black characters has been weak for the exact same reason that the writing for white characters has been weak: the talent in the writing room is not so talented.

• Members

A more diverse writing room would certainly help. But yes, the writing talent is lacking and a great writer should be able to write for anyone, regardless of color. I mean, women write trash for fellow women and gay men write trash for gay men, so ...

• Members

Right now Y&R has the B&S story where we have all kinds of races involved.

They seem to be working on a Reed/Mattie pairing. 

Lily has always been involved in big storylines outside the black group and people are mad about that as well. 

The show has brought back Leslie as part of an interesting umbrella storyline and when I say that I want to see more of her, people say forget it. They would never do that. 

• Members

Acknowledge the writing is weak for all characters.

Acknowledge the unprecedented lack of diversity in front of and behind the scenes.

Acknowledge the disparity in airtime & story allotted to white and non-white characters.

Still argue for AC to be on contract.

Unambiguous Black actresses do NOT function like biracial/multiracial women of color.

A fact which you know. You just wanted an excuse to pick a fight.  

• Members

Exactly. Diversity in the writing room should be a priority, but no one would make the irrational contention that a great male writer could not write for female characters. Saying that a talented scribe of one race cannot pen effective scripts for characters of other races, or that an excellent gay writer cannot write well for straight characters, would be equally silly.

• Members

Yes it is very obvious that I want to pick a fight with the SON Board Police because I choose the topics I want to discuss. If you see my previous statement as an excuse to pick a fight, your problems are far more serious than the real-life struggles of Drucilla Barber. Try to realise that this is a board for soap opera discussion not your living room. Trying to act like a bully on a soap opera board makes me think that the writing on Y&R is the least of your problems and trust me, I don't find your constant "anger" fun at all. You think people ignore you because they are afraid of your persona, the truth is that your "drama" is very boring. You know.. "politics" 

Archived