Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was watching the remastered episodes on FreeVee and I agree she was stunning during that first year. Her look was very simple and that worked because she was a natural beauty. Then in the middle of the first year she got the shag and started wearing heavier makeup. There’s speculation that she got some work done during the dream season because she missed an episode (during the Colombian emeralds storyline) and after she came back, she never looked the same.

• Members

She definitely had something done. She almost looks like a totally different person. She claims that she has never had plastic surgery (even though she was married to a plastic surgeon) and that her skin care line is all she uses.

There is a 1973 episode of Love American Style on youtube featuring her. She was good at comedy and has a Marlo Thomas That Girl thing going on. I almost kept waiting for her to say " Oh Donald".....LOL Lenore Kasdorf (Rita GL) is also featured. 

• Members

I think too much is read into Victoria Principal's "stand-offish" behavior with the rest of the cast.  Every quote I've ever seen her from her about Dallas (and about her co-stars) is fairly positive, even if she sometimes expressed disappointment with the writing.  I've never had the impression that she disliked the cast -- simply that she came to work, did her job, was pretty nice about it, then went home and did her own thing instead of trying to immerse herself in Dallas 24/7.  (While the others were clowning around on the set and going out to dinner together, she was dealing with a musician who had a serious drug problem.)  

• Members

Let's be honest here - doing these reunions wouldn't even reach pocket change level for her considering the wealth she supposedly managed to amass with Principal Secret and related products. The only reason she'd do a reunion would be for fun and while the interview section on stage wouldn't be too bad, sitting down for a meet and greet for several hours sounds like my idea of hell. 

• Members

Yes, and she specifically commented that one of the reunions seemed poorly organized, inspiring her to skip it.  As it turns out, it WAS poorly organized, annoying a number of fans, some of whom had come from overseas to attend it.  If those fans left with a sour impression of the cast, it didn't affect her, as she'd (wisely) skipped it.  I believe she reached a point in life many years ago where she doesn't feel compelled to do things that don't appeal to her.   

• Members

Omg, yes!!!! I was wondering why she wasn't in an episode in Colombia, and my initial thought when she next appeared was that her face looked different, but I couldn't quite pinpoint what was different.

Thank you for sharing. Wow, Victoria looks completely different here. 

• Members

Well, obviously - she hasn't acted since 2000 and doesn't need to do the promotional circuit (the one promo she does/did for Principal Secret and her foundations are different), so there would be no gain for her to do these reunions besides her own gratification. 

I believe the official story was that she had a "back injury". Take that for what you will.

• Members

Steve Kanaly said Dallas lost 10% of it's audience because of season 9 being a dream season.

He also said that the writers were still very nervous till the end about the decision to make the season a dream.

He also said there were pissed cast mates over the decision to wipe out the entire progress of their stories. He wouldn't say who the actors were though.

• Members

This is sort of true, but also not really - what happened is that the average dropped, but the truth is also that season ten stopped free-falling like it had been in the second part of season 9. Season 10 averaged lower, but also was more steady and temporarily stopped the bleeding, iirc. 

Susan Howard felt very strongly about her storyline in season 9 with adopting a handicapped child and was majorly pissed off about it (and vocal) - it's likely a part of why she was cut at the end of season 10. 

• Members

Personally, I felt like season 9 was a good direction for most of the characters' stories. 

Season 10 was a hard reset for a lot of great stuff that was going on, such as the adoption storyline for Ray and Donna, the progress of JR and Sue Ellen's relationship, Jamie and Jack integrating into the canvas, Jenna and Jack. 

There were a few misses as well, but overall it was a solid season and I think the stories helped keep Dallas in the top 10 considering all the other soaps were out.

Also, the real audience erosion came during season 9, not in season 10. If I remember correctly from the ratings thread, the premiere for season 9 did quite well. I am assuming most people were interested in the aftermath of Bobby's death, but with his departure, they didn't care to continue watching. Season 10 was a bit of a bandaid, but it wouldn't help when a bunch of familiar faces exited at the end of the season. Then with season 11 onward you have a very steady and significant decline. 

• Members

Agreed. The beginning of the season wasn't that bad. The ratings were still ok. The ratings really started falling when the show became about Angelica and the jungle emerald mine story. When Pam disappeared in the jungle the ratings did go back up. That was the last big number for Dallas until the cliffhanger.

Season 10 ended all of those three stories and put the awful pairing of Jenna and Ray together. Jenna became what Donna feared the last two seasons before. A housewife obeying her husband and dressed like sh!t.

I also noticed when the Knots writers took over as producers too that we had female friendships in Sue Ellen and Jamie plus Jenna and Donna.

• Members

Dallas venturing into James Bond territory didn't work and that probably played a part in why the writers went the it was all a dream route. 

Of all the action thriller/James Bond storylines on the CBS primetime soaps, the only one that worked for me was Knots Landing Wolfbridge.