Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I suspect a face lift sometime in the early 1990s, between leaving Dallas and joining Melrose Place.

Whatever Linda Gray has had done is not blatantly obvious and in your face, especially when compared to some of the other 1980s primetime soap actresses of her generation. I also think she has good health on her side, plus styling-wise she has always been up to date and age appropriate.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

I remember when Joan Van Ark joined YR, my first reaction was that she hadn't aged as gently as some of the other primetime soap ladies. I think because she's quite thin, it does tend to age her a bit more on top of some of the work she's had done. 

I do think Linda is looking great as well. 

• Members

JVA strikes me as someone who spends a lot of time in the mirror finding imperfections, hence why she's gone overboard.

Good plastic surgery tends to be subtle and not necessarily about to look younger, but less saggy.

• Members

It happened kinda slowly.  Sue Ellen was pregnant with John Ross over several episodes in the 1978/1979 season.

There was a short-term arc about Pam's pregnancy that culminated in that tear-jerker "Lost Child" episode, in which Pam lost her baby and Bobby's little sidekick-boy moved to Wyoming.  

They were beginning to do more and more "two-part" episodes in 1979/1980 that concluded with "to be continued ...", including the episode in which Digger Barnes died after admitting he'd killed Hutch McKinney years before.  

By the very end of the 1979/1980 season, in "A House Divided", they'd pretty much decided they were a true continuing drama.  

• Members

I've not seen them in High Definition yet, but they were awfully pretty in "plain ole TV" back in the day.  

People aren't running around looking for emeralds in a jungle or making billion dollar deals.  They're sitting around the swimming pool discussing a trip to the stockyard.   Or riding around in a convertible.  Or feeding a horse.  Just regular stuff, which is what made that show seem somewhat relatable.  

• Members

Oh, yeah.   What appealed to me about the show was "nouveau rich folks who live on a ranch".

We'd often see Bobby or Ray SWEATIING outside after rounding up calves, and people would do "mundane" jobs indoors, such as Miss Ellie cooking chili in the kitchen for the Ewing barbeque.   They were people whom rural Americans, whether Southern or not, could relate to.  They might have a fancy Lincoln Continental, Mercedes, and Corvette in the driveway, but they were often seen doing "normal" things around the place that anyone -- millionaire or not -- would do on a farm.