Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes, but in using the original 35mm film, they're able to make it widescreen, much like Charmed and Friends, the latter of which is also a Warner production. And, as pointed out in the final tweet, we're getting both the 16:9 expanded widescreen format and the original 4:3 format, which the former (Charmed) received. It's standard practice when using 35mm film and when done properly, which the team behind this remaster seems to have done.

HD clips, via DALLAS70:

The first three seasons of opening credits in remastered quality:

• Members

Watching those first 3 opening credits it's interesting to see some inconsistencies

For example in the opening for the first full season Barbara Bel Geddes is the only cast member not to get 3 shots in her credit. Unlike the others her central shot is flanked by scenery shots.Wonder why? Next season she gets the complimentary side shots.

Some cast members had the same shots for the full Season 1 as they did for the initial tryout while others got new shots. And so on...

always wonder why and how these choices are made.

• Members

I noticed season 10 looked different on HD than the previous seasons I've seen so far. The opening credits to the season finale look off as does the new graphics. I'm not sure if it because it was filmed differently that year. Because on the SD copy on FreeVee it doesn't look that way.  The picture quality still looks great but the older seasons to me look even better on HD. I can't believe how clean the early year openings are and the actual episodes too.

I bought so far seasons 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 , 9 and 10. The dream season episodes look outstanding!

• Members

Bobby and Gary in the pool in HD.

Please register in order to view this content

Bobby and Gary get out of the SouthFork pool and Gary's a$$. It looks very visible in HD even though he has short trunks on.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I'm really enjoying Dallas in HD. Currently watching the episode Ewing Inferno.

I have a question. Who is playing John Ross? Is it Omri Katz or was it another actor? I believe it is Omri in the season premiere in 1983. Just because he annoys me in the first episode of the new season.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Season 10 looks different from the earlier seasons because that was the season they started editing the show on lower resolution videotape (it was still shot on film) to save money. The current remaster uses software for seasons 10-14 to upscale them to HD, as opposed to the earlier seasons, where they could just rescan the negatives of the completed episodes. To properly do seasons 10-14, they’d have to reassemble the shows from the original film (if they even still have it). This would be expensive. The later seasons do look better than they’ve ever been.

Tyler Banks played John Ross in “Ewing Inferno,” the cliffhanger for season 6. By the time he was rescued from the fire in the season 7 premiere, he was played by Omri Katz. No “severe burns necessitating plastic surgery” explanation, though.