Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I also like seeing Gloria back, it's as if a part of old Y&R has returned, even though viewers generally either like her or can't stand her.

The entire Lauren storyline is very interesting in itself, and having Lauren, Michael and Gloria back on the screen just feels right. I could do without Kevin, sure.

You can tell that Chloe's return is now a problem because the writers don't know what to do with her. I hope Chloe and Kevin break up soon and they find something interesting for Chloe to do. Maybe humanize her more and get her back in Billy's orbit.

I'm hoping for a storyline involving Paul and Christine.

I wish Heather would be back with either Vail Bloom or a new actress.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The one note writing for Lily I feel is a holding pattern since she's stuck in a pairing you can't do much with. I believe there is a plan for her though. As for Victoria, I find the writing for her much better than it had been. I like the way they're playing things with Reed and aacknowledging she was an absentee mother and doesn't know her son. It's similar to the way Victor and Nikki shipped their kids off to boarding school.

The Billy aspect I do agree with. I feel they want so badly for us to forgive him and love him and I feel the same way Victoria and Jack feel--annoyed. Billy needs to sit his ass down for a while. 

• Members

That's the point some of us are making. If the writers had Lily spending half the time focused on her and Devon's relationship as they did having her complain about Hilary this wouldn't be a problem. Y&R has 15 years of the Winters siblings history for the show to mine yet they chose to ignore that to push the concerned wife/evil family angle.

Same with Neil. Had Y&R had put forth the effort to focus on his relationship with Devon his scenes with Hilary wouldn't be as gross. They'd still be creepy together but at least there would be a level of sympathetic characterization for Neil instead of Kristoff spending the majority of his time hovering over MM like a vulture.

The aftermath of Devon's accident happening in a bubble is a larger part of the problem. As others have said way more characters than Mariah should be visiting the hospital to support the Winters. That would be another thing that would allow some variety in characterization without reducing the animosity between the rest of the family & Hilary.

Y&R clearly has an angle they want to push and the characterization is suffering because of it.

• Members

No, the point was that Victoria hasn't been written as a competent business woman who has half a billion dollars since HT left. It's not about who has to say a stupid line. I live in Nebraska and I have a handyman.  If I were to offer him $20,000 to come look at my furnace, he's gong to do that day or night.  The other thing I could do with that kind of money is go to a hotel. What I would not have to do is call my ex, but this show decided to treat Victoria and the viewers like idiots and pretend that she had no other choice. As long as TPTB do that, I"ll be calling them out on it.

• Members

Correct. It's blatantly obvious they are pushing an angle. And, they want immediate polarizing reactions from the audience. It's as if they don't have time to waste on subtlety cause they are rushing to a point. I have ideas about what the point is and think we will reach it at sweeps. I suspect Lily will be even more laser focused and obsessive to get there.

The writing for Neil is bipolar. It's like they want to write him in character and do for a few scenes. But then they remember the angle and rehabbing him is less important, so he flips on a dime to attack Hilary. 

Having him call her names and say she will get what's coming to her in due time makes him look like the names he calls her and makes me hope he gets his instead. 

• Members

CK is in hard place because you got people who don't like CK in the part but love MM as a actress. So some people don't mind Hillary winning over CKLily. Now I wonder if Lily was played by a equally love actress would I for insist be rooting for Hillary then. Or want a good showdown. 

When CK go up against somebody she always come off as a one note shrew example Chloe, maybe Amber.

• Members

Yeah, it just doesn't work.  I think the show would be better if the rich people were more like the Abbots of old. Your basic millionaire next door. When everyone has f*ck you money, but lives in tiny houses without much help, it's pretty glaring. 

• Members

I think you're on to something. Dislike for CK sends rational thought out the window. 

Not in the least. 

Do viewers watch this show to see folks living like them though? I know I don't and never did. As a child living in poverty stricken rural south, I was drawn to the the model, the doctor, the photographer, the exec cause I thought they lived glamorous lives and I wanted to live like them. I was drawn to the fantasy. Isn't that part of the reason Bravo's Housewives franchise became so popular? 

• Members

^ But we are seeing them live like middle class people, they just talk about being rich. Compare that to B&B. I'm not suggesting that these people should be poor or even middle class though. It's just when you make them so rich that money should be no obstacle it seems pretty silly when the furnace is an obstacle.

• Members

I don't know about the argument that people don't watch a show to see middle class people.  You may not have but I liked a mix.  As the World Turns was one of my shows because I loved the Snyder family - I had more in common with them than other soap families because I was more like them. 

Archived