Jump to content
Roman

Singer George Michael Dead At 53

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ChitHappens said:

I could listen to Faith and I Knew You Were Waiting all day. 

He had a lot of great hits! He is one of the artists that I have his complete hits on one CD.

Three of his albums are in the top 20 in Itunes with the album Faith at #5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Cheap21 said:

shocked he was only 53. I thought he was older for some reason bc he's been around for so long

Its because he didn't age well. He lived a rough life even though he had all that money.

15 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

I can only listen to I Knew You Were Waiting if I mute out all of Aretha's overrated whaling parts. 

LOLOLOL....Alvin I love reading your posts...always something great on them....thanks for the laugh as always...teehee....LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Cheap21 said:

shocked he was only 53. I thought he was older for some reason bc he's been around for so long

 

I read somewhere that he wrote Careless Whisper at 17. I read he was only 19 when Wham! hit the big time.

 

 

Did anyone see this?  George Michael rehearsing with Queen with David Bowie and Seal watching in the background. No one could've known that David Bowie and George Michael would die in the same year.  The backstory was written about here. http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/watch-george-michael-rehearse-somebody-to-love.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny thing is is when I was a kid, George was the male pop star I most wanted to be like, lol. His influence on modern pop is so underrated - people like Justin Timberlake and Justin Bieber (who are nowhere as talented btw) owe more to him than Michael Jackson (who they always cite). 

 

With Prince and George dying in the same year, it really is the end of the massive 80's/early 90's pop star/MTV era. Madonna's really the last one standing from that era with any lasting cultural impact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

The funny thing is is when I was a kid, George was the male pop star I most wanted to be like, lol. His influence on modern pop is so underrated - people like Justin Timberlake and Justin Bieber (who are nowhere as talented btw) owe more to him than Michael Jackson (who they always cite). 

 

With Prince and George dying in the same year, it really is the end of the massive 80's/early 90's pop star/MTV era. Madonna's really the last one standing from that era with any lasting cultural impact. 

Ha I can't picture you as a GM wannable....LOL.  Don't forget about Janet...but Madonna is the only one left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Ha I can't picture you as a GM wannable....LOL.  Don't forget about Janet...but Madonna is the only one left.

 

Absolutely.  Janet was just as big as them in her heyday.  

 

In-T-Way, not really relevant to George's passing.  RIP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like Janet, but didn't include her because I don't think she was ever quite the global force the others were, or as pop culturally significant (my opinion of course).

 

Anyway, here are some other duets - with Whitney and Mary J. Blige. Both were hits in the UK.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BetterForgotten I'd really have to disagree with you about Janet. Control was pretty big and Rhythm Nation 1814 was pretty big and Janet Jackson had carved out her own space in choreography, other than Michael, very few could live with her in terms of her stage shows and music video choreography that everyone wanted to copy. In the video music age, that was pretty big.

Of the places I'd been to in the 90s (North America and parts of Europe), she was pretty big there.

 

ETA. I'm seeing how many times I keep saying "pretty big". I feel like Larry David.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×