Showtime: BILLIONS

YRBB

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just saw the pilot and thought it was magnificent. Several moments of great tension and can't-look-away scenes. Wendy and Bobby's wife were magnificent. Bobby's scene with Wendy was beautiful, even touching. And the twist at the end, revealing that Wendy was actually the one and not some affair, was so interesting and really put Chuck under a whole different light. Loved it. Will certainly watch episode 2 sometime this week. Hope they keep it up!

• Members

I'm only up to season 3 on SOA but there are definitely moments when she gets on my nerves... due to writing reasons. Maggie Siff always turns in a great performance. But this role... it fits her perfectly. It's great casting.

And now I have to wait a week and a half for the next episode :( :lol:

• Members

I recognized MS's voice right from the start, so I didn't get to feel surprised. Well, maybe I'm slightly surprised that people could maintain that kind of BDSM relationship in a long term relationship.  Just seems like marriage would ruin the illusion of danger.  Is it considered a scandal if someone is doing this stuff with his wife? I figure at some point Bobby's fixer is going to try to blackmail Chuck.

Mostly I thought it was pretty good. Damian Lewis is really good at playing slightly menacing characters. He wasn't believable when he was rattling off the stock market lines though. My guess is he didn't understand what the lines meant before he said them and it showed.

The scene where Bobby and Chuck went at each other was really excellent. That was a first class confrontation. I love that Bobby just couldn't help himself and bought the house, even though every bone in his body knew he shouldn't.

• Members

BDSM is not about danger, so there wouldn't be any issue with ruining that illusion. BDSM is about a lot -- power, domination, submission, pain, leather, etc -- but there are very clear and pre-negotiated terms between couples/partners. Therefore, it is definitely something sustainable long-term. It's also something you do not see often on TV, at least not respectfully treated (so far).

I think Bobby could use it to humiliate him, bring him down in the eyes of the public.

You are so right about DL not understanding what he was talking about. The truth is, neither did I, but he should at least make me feel he knows what he's talking about! :lol:

The "fυck you money" scene was phenomenal. You can totally see why those two will be such enemies beyond the obvious reason. 

• Members

YRBB- Thanks for the primer on BDSM. How funny that we both saw that DL didn't know what he was talking about. I'm gong to cut him some slack and chalk it up to it being the pilot. If he gets that kind of scene again, I'm going to hope takes the time to get someone to explain it to him. It's not like he needs an MBA, he just needs a basic understanding of what he's saying, while he's saying it.

One of the interesting things about this show is it confronts the idea that white collar criminals should be cut a break. It surprised me to realize that deep down I was buying into that notion to some degree. I did feel bad for the family friend who was asking for a beak at first, but really, why should someone who had so much going for him get a break when a kid on the street wouldn't? It's all a matter of degree, but if we are sending petty drug dealers away, we should be sending people away who cause serious financial harm by breaking the law. 

• Members

BDSM is certainly a very complex issue. I hope they explore it more down the line. I agree about an actor understanding what he's talking about. Hopefully it was just a temporary issue. 

That's a great observation about white collar crime. The show is definitely taking that stance, which is not something you see often. But I suppose in order for Bobby an Chuck's rivalry to have any weight at all, that's something that would have to be made distinctly clear.

I missed the renewal! I'm glad to hear. Episode 3 hasn't aired yet -- it's on Sunday.

• Members

Episode 3:  Chuck making that guy pick up dog crap with his hand was a bit much. Sure, he's right, but I don't really see why the guy didn't take the fine or use his jacket. I know they are trying to prove to us that Chuck has what it takes to bring down a billionaire, but that scene was a no go for me.  Threatening to jail that other guys elderly parents worked better. That was ruthless and believable.

I like that Chuck isn't going to be completely blindsided when Axe comes for him. They made it clear he knows how personal it's going to get. I'm thinking Axe will use something that Wendy has done wrong, either as a doctor or in her trading.

• Members

Eventually it hit me that Axe has set Wendy up and those opposing traders where in on it. Did she really break medical ethics in that case? I'm not sure, but they made such a point of Wendy loving her work (if not this exact job) that I have to believe Axe is going to come at Chuck through her medical license.

Archived