2015 Movie Awards Thread

Toups

• Members

Travesty!  Leo did NOTHING Oscar worthy in The Revenant!  

Folks need to stop acting like he's been cheated all theses years!  

The he only thing that would have made this night an even bigger mockery is if that botoxed action figure would have won for Supporting!  One helluva crack pipe being passed around!  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of my main memories of Chris Rock and the Oscars was his joke about Elia Kazan, which was so awkward it made me wince, so I wasn't sure what to expect this time around. (I don't really remember his first hosting gig). Other than the crass "girl-on-girl" joke (I know people were upset about the Asian kids joke too), I thought he was decent enough. His monologue threaded the needle about as well as you could, as well as belittling the look-at-me stuff from the Pinkett-Smiths that deserved to be belittled. (continued in that funny "Black History Minute" gag later in the show). The sketch about black actors in small roles was marred by Whoopi Goldberg forgetting how to have comic timing (Leslie Jones never seems to have learned), but Tracy Morgan was pretty funny. The man-on-the-street bit was better.

Other than Mark Rylance, the winners were predictable enough. I've long been tired of hearing about poor poor Leo and how sad he is that he doesn't have an Oscar - well, he has one now, so maybe that means he can make something I can actually sit all the way through. 

Lots of ugly dresses this year. Cate Blanchett, who looked like Poison Ivy, was the worst for me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3468602/And-Oscar-WORST-fashion-fail-goes-nominee-Alicia-Vikander-Whoopi-Goldberg-stars-suffering-style-disasters-Academy-Awards-red-carpet.html

• Members

I'm glad Mark Rylance won, he was excellent in Bridge of Spies. In fact, I've seen him on stage, too, he is one of the best actors I've ever seen, period (Ralph Fiennes was another one).

Please register in order to view this content

Preach! And thank you! I thought I was the only one sick of seeing Leo brown-nose every Academy voter with his eagerness and boohoo about DA COLD and I WAS FUCKED BY A BEAR!!!! Like, did the production crew not bring heaters on this shoot? Did the bear not have a handler? Get over you damn self and go back to chasing 19-year old Victoria's Secret models!

• Administrator

Yup!  Leonardo DiCaprio's Best Actor Win Was the Most Tweeted Moment of an Oscar Telecast Ever

I don't mind if it was for "career Oscar".  A win is a win.  It's like Martin Scorsese finally winning for The Departed after losing 4 previous times.   IMO, both Leo and Marty are worth these "finally" sentiments.  They've both had a great career and are well respect and loved.   It's not like, say, Bradley Cooper is going to get these "finally" sentiments if he loses on his 4th nomination.  LOL

Oscars: The Internet's 17 Best Memes Celebrating Leonardo DiCaprio's Win

My favourites ones:

• Administrator

it's not about age. It's about being so good for a long time and having a lot great roles without an Oscar.  

Sometimes you don't win for your best stuff.  Like when Succi Lucci finally won.  People were just happy she finally won even though it might now have been for her best material.  And right now a lot people happy for Leo. 

• Members

There are plenty of people who are good and take a long time to win Oscars. Many of them never seem to get the bizarre pity and cloying sympathy that he gets. I guess it's partially because it's a fun meme people can feel clever about, and also because people still remember him for Titanic, rather than phoning it in when he isn't spending most of his time whoring around with interchangeable models.

• Members

The thing with DiCaprio is that every single time he's lost the Oscar, he lost it because he didn't deserve it in comparison to some (if not ALL) of the other nominees. He just hadn't given the best performance. The only way he would win is if, finally, everybody else gave less of a performance in his category, or the campaign was successful enough. Carl is right in that people still love him so much because of TITANIC, or at the very least, still have that image of him in their mind, and, for better or worse, just wanted him to win it, no matter what. That's not an overstatement; ALL of my Facebook is about this, even cynical people who hate Oscars/pop culture are posting how happy they are. I mean, it's bizarre. 

I'm glad it's finally done, because now we can move on! lol

• Members

Leo won a career Oscar because he's one of those actors people that don't pay attention to the awards show know and love. Whether you like it or not (generally speaking), he's extremely popular by the "everyman(people)" of the world. The same thing goes for Sylvester Stallone. If he had won, there would have been another standing ovation without question. However, like I've said before, the male categories were very weak this year. None of the performances nominated will be remembered years from now. Luckily the actress categories were tight as hell. Almost anyone could have won and few would have complained.

Archived