August 31 - September 4, 2015: GH Up For The Week

Toups

• Members

What vets are back?   Scotty was on a lot during the trial, loved that, but other than him I don't think a single pre-Sonny character got any significant airtime.  Meanwhile, on DOOL that show is going  in with Patch, Kayla, Bo, Hope, John and Marlena.  GH is leading with Sonny and Carly--the same two characters that have fronted the show for the last 15 years.   Considering how the show was on the brink of cancellation during the mob era, not sure how this makes for Smart TV.   TV the work of a writer with a lack of vision perhaps, but who has zero by the way of originality.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sad thing is to a lot of newer GH fans, Sonny and Carly likely are vets. When the show heavily focuses on Sonny, it's never as huge a ratings bust as when they focus on certain others (like the "Cartini" hires, or Jason).

I picture Ron somewhere looking at the ratings rise and thinking, "These were MY ratings and MY work!" 

Too bad so sad.

• Members

The character of Sonny and Maurice Benard has been with GH since 1993. Regardless of Sonny's divisiveness, he falls into the "vet" category on that show, due to the longevity and the fact there aren't many people that pre-date him that are still on canvas. Yes there are actors who are "used" on GH, that started before him, but most have huge gaps in their time of service or are barely featured (like Mac who appeared two years earlier and Felicia who was off canvas for many years). The character of Carly is celebrating 20 in 2016, so while Laura Wright has only been on GH for 10 years this autumn, she isn't exactly a newbie either. 

• Members

I see a lot of people complaining about the mob resurgence, and I get it and I don't necessarily disagree.  But a lot depends on how it's done.  If you'd told me two years ago I'd get hooked on a primetime show about an AA family immersed in the Hip Hop music industry I would have said you were crazy.  Not that I suffer the delusion that JP and SA are capable of anything other than boring, predictable and formulaic writing and I'm pretty sure they're just placeholders until they can find someone better or cancel the show.  GH is just recycling the same old stories.  What was old has become new again and isn't remotely clever or smart.  And honestly, the same is true of Days IMO.  Glad to see Steve and Bo return, but I have very little confidence that the writing team there can refresh the show or make it more interesting for the long haul. 

• Errol unpinned this topic

Archived