Black woman "kills herself" after arrest over traffic signal

Nate4

• Members

Yes they do. That's what defenders of bad cops refuse to acknowledge. These people become cops because it gives them a chance to indulge their sadism and power tripping without fear. Just like pedophiles often put themselves in positions where they have access to children who need attention. Nobody gets so set off they fake a suicide.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hell, yes. For once I actually agree with AG. Doesn't matter who's right, you have to obey the scary man with the gun when you are pulled over. That's simple survival, imo. Minorities are more at risk, no doubt about that. None of us are really safe from them though. When I was a teenager, my best friend and I got a nice taste of how power crazy some of these guys are. The way I see it, you can be right or you can go home alive/unhurt.

I actually had no idea any sane person ever challenged police when they are pulled over, until my husband told me a story about how he did once. Ideally, that would obviously be ok, but I've never considered it a viable option. Now that I'm a middle aged white woman (shine is off the penny and all that) I feel a little safer when I'm pulled over, but I still wouldn't risk engaging one of these guys in a debate. Fight the ticket in court, if you want to fight it.

• Members

I have to say that you need to be very careful if you get stopped by the police. With body cameras being equipped on officers in a lot of jurisdictions now, there are officers who are going to be on better behavior because there will be recordings of incidents.

• Members

New information out, video surveillance in the jail shows that nobody walked near or past her cell in the time leading up to her being disovered dead. Obviously her family didn't REALLY know what was going on with her. And the whole argument started when she wouldn't put out her cigarette. REALLY? You gonna give a cop lip over something that petty?

• Members

The real argument started the minute he pulled her over for such a petty violation. When you see a black and white speeding up behind you, it's a gut reaction to get out of its way. For her to be pulled over for not signaling in that very understandable circumstance was just petty. I live off of two major thoroughfares and day after day, night after night, I see these cops speeding without sirens like little boys in go karts. It is so unnecessary and it makes me nervous. If they need to reach such speeds in order to quickly respond to an emergency, they need to cut on their sirens. Otherwise, to me it just looks like people abusing their authority, and anyone willing to abuse his or her authority by racing up and down a major road is in my book just as willing to abuse his or her authority by pulling folks over at whim.

• Members

While getting angry and confrontational isn't really my style, I don't think that we should live in a world where we get punished, nay killed, for "giving lip". We have a right to be upset in the face of injustice. Sticks and stones.

That said, there are many ways that an officer can handle a situation. Look how the officer handled this one. If the man pulled over was black in 2015, he'd probably be dead.

• Members

I'm sorry, I have to be honest. She was looking for a fight from the very beginning and she got what she wanted. It all started out pretty calm and probably would have stayed that way if she had remained calm. I'm not saying the officer was right, but at the same time, the situation was helped any by the driver. These days everyone wants to be an activist and go viral, and she probably thought it would have been a good topic to discuss in a video.

• Members

Many are questioning why the arrest video released appeared to be altered:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/07/22/sandra-bland-jail-cell-video-jump-cut-texas-lavandera-newday.cnn

The footage seems to be looped at certain points with some cars appearing and disappearing and appearing again, the video is chopped while the audio runs in a continuous stream.

• Members

I just read that the Texas department investigating that claim says that it wasn't edited. rolleyes.gif

Of the few times I've been pulled over by the police, I was a straight up smart ass. I don't know why but it just irritated me so bad. The cops never really fed into it though, which kinda surprised me. Then again, I'm a white dude, so...

• Members

Right, but that's my whole point. It's not about the world we should live in. It's about the world we do live in. Right here, right now the best thing to do is tread very carefully when you are pulled over. A person's only job when being stopped by an officer is coming out of it alive and unmolested. That's my feeling anyway.

Humans are dangerous animals, especially when they have the kind of power police have. I'm not even as anti police as I probably sound. There are a lot of dangerous criminals in the world. It's go to take a similar type of person to bring them to heel in many cases. Who else would want the job? Law enforcement is societies deal with the devil. Maybe we can make it better, but I doubt it can ever be a perfect system. The police officer who just shot an unarmed guy in the head was wearing a body cam for pity's sake.

• Members

Other countries (the ones that are not rife with corruption) do not seem to experience these types of issues with as much frequency as the U.S. When I mention other countries, I mean industrialized countries of similar socio-economic stratas like Canada and England.

• Members

Yes, but we have an insane gun culture here, those other places don't. Isn't it the UK where police don't even carry guns? Can you imagine that here? I live in freaking Omaha and we have gang issues and shoot outs.

As for corruption, I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a country that isn't knee deep in corruption and racism. Yes, the US is screwed up, but Europe has it's own problems (Jews, Muslims and Roma have a rough time in a lot of European countries even now). Sweden is generally seen as a model country and they were caught keeping lists of Roma, including children. After what happened in the Holocaust, I found that absolutely chilling. http://www.ibtimes.com/swedish-police-keep-secret-files-roma-gypsy-people-fighting-crime-or-ethnic-profiling-1495498

Archived