Erika Slezak interview: One Life to Live

• Members

Do research and see that she have very little credited to her name on IMBD? Let's not act like these casting people give 2 f.ucks that she spent almost 50 years on a soap.

They have no reason to cast her when they can cast someone with a more reputable name in primetime or Broadway. Why cast Slezak as the token grandma when you can get Elaine Stritch, Betty White, or Cloris Leachman (Erika is younger than them, but you get what I'm saying) or someone with a varied resume in said field? Not saying she sucks or is unemployable, but it's the way the industry works. More power to her for trying, but I am not surprised she hasn't had much success.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She is an Actress and a damn good one. Why wouldnt these people want to hire her. As for TV she did 41 years on a daytime soap which means she can memorize and recite 50-100 pages of dialogue daily. Lets see prme time is like 7-10 pages and film is even less. ES is someone who comes to the set prepared and doesnt bitch like a DIVA but she isnt given a chance . Producers & directors want actors wh are prepared, classy and ready to work. Well that is Erika Slezak.

• Members

I dont know if I think she wants all this money. Erika didnt work after OLTL left ABC til the PP reboot and that paid less than ABC. I feel she just wants the right role but some producers/directors think Soaps mean no talent. Its their loss. Not Erika's

• Members

LOL Why would she be brought on as Joanna or Dina when, as far as I know, the actors are still around and capable to resume their parts? Wouldn't this just be more useless recasting with ABC actors?

• Members

The reality is that acting is a really tough business, and there are a lot of actors who leave daytime when a show is cancelled or their contract ends, and they don't really work on TV again because the jobs just aren't there anymore. sad.png

Yes, it's great that daytime actors can learn a whole lot of dialogue really quickly... but not everyone considers that an asset. Who cares how fast you can memorize 100 pages of dialogue when it comes to theater? You do the same play every night. I remember a soap cast member going on a few years ago about how great daytime actors were because of how fast they could memorize and get it done in one take... and this was a person who frankly (IMHO) needed more time to improve performance and get rid of some bad habits likely picked up from years of being in daytime.

I could definitely see ES in some TV movies on Lifetime or Hallmark or the like, and I think she could do theater work if the right role was available. She sounds like she isn't ready to retire, so I hope something comes along for her.

Archived