American Time Capsule - 1968 short film

DRW50

• Members

This Chuck Braverman short film aired on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour right after the 1968 elections.

It's a 4 minute look at our history. It's tough and harrowing and yet also beautiful, somehow.

I should warn this has very fast images and weird lights, so consider that a seizure warning.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A part of me wants to look at each from to find the subliminal images.

All kidding aside it is interesting to note that people didn't like Nixon pre-watergate. I am not sure how many people realize that. I must say that presentation was pretty well done. I have always been fascinated by presentations like that and I wonder what all they had to do to create it considering computers were not around then.

• Members

Nixon was somewhat popular before Watergate, moreso toward the end of his first term. He worked hard in his first term to win the public around.

Chuck Braverman said he got this job because his mother met one of the Smothers Brothers while playing pool at some party. He agreed to have one of her son's shorts on the show. Braverman had just graduated from film school and was living at home. He thought his mother was exaggerating and was shocked when he learned he actually had the job. Some months passed, while he was quickly making this, he learned that they'd just sort of promised him but had no real plans to put it on the sow. Once they saw the film they were so impressed they bumped a musical act for him. He said he was there when it was shown and that the people working on the show gave him huge applause.

Archived