Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

She was vicious to the end! I'm disappointed they sent her away for now. She really held her own against Terrence Howard. When she arrived at the mansion I thought Camilla was ready to make a play for Lucious. She could easily be the new (and tougher) Anika.

• Members

This past episode was underwhelming to me. I really don't need extra reasons to think that Luscious is a monster, and at this point it's becoming a detriment to the serial. If he gets to be more and more despicable with each passing episode rage will soon move to apathy among the audience members, and apathy to desensitization and then to disinterest. This episode was a Luscious showcase, and I didn't care for Reg and his gun or the resulting stupidity. So the A plot was a wash. Andre gets the shaft again. The Cookie/Malcolm relationship feels unneeded, it smacks of a c level subplot that should only be utilized during a slow moment in season 2.

I go back and forth on if Empire should have more episodes or not. The pacing problem is real, and we see that in the past three episodes. They have been poorly structured, and it's tempered my interest in the show. If they paced things a bit better I would probably like the show more. On the other hand, I think Empire is benefiting from more or less acting as a limited series. It gives each episode a must see feel, and people can keep up with it easier as it doesn't have extended plot lines or long term episode orders to fill with hiatuses and the like. If the show were extended to a full 22 episode order it would probably fall into the same trappings as all of the other series on television now -- meaningless episodes, stupid sub side stories, overexposure, and diminished expectations to fill time.

Edited by Skin

• Members

He's no Babe Carey, that's for sure.

CBS SID on the finale.

This is where I say that only ABC promised viewers they'd know who killed Laura at the end of the first season of Twin Peaks in their BS promo department, not the showrunners, but the above point stands.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Come on Errol. You mean expect "fewer." Don't be one of those heretics who let the AP style guide tell them it doesn't matter anymore. tongue.png

Honestly, I can see why they don't want to go to a full 22 episodes. Granted, I've complained about the pacing all along - and I think the show has more than enough story to fill 22 episodes - but I would think that's too many unless they break it into two runs of 10-12 with a few months in between. I don't want to grind Taraji and Terrance into dust (especially Taraji since IMO she *is* Empire). I imagine that they both want the flexibility to be able to work on other projects and 22 episodes would make that difficult. I think 15-18 episodes perhaps with a brief break in between would be optimal.

• Members

I loved how vicious Camilla was to Lucious about his ALS: "In 6 months, you'll be a vegetable in a wheelchair with a colostomy bag trailing behind you." That was ice cold and I loved it. Naomi delivered, and I agree that she had some Kate O'Mara vibes going on, she is a charismatic presence. I hope that she, and Courtney Love, make returns in season 2...Elle Dallas has some justice to get from Boo Boo Kitty.

I loved the episode, as I have all the others, but the pacing is lightning fast and I think the show would benefit from going to something like 15 or 16 episodes. I don't think it's wise to go far beyond that episode order, because overexposure will kill a show like 'Empire' and part of what makes it great is the pacing and the action and how there aren't wasted scenes.