Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

The show is doing just fine. Fox is beyond thrilled with the show. There was just an article somewhere (Hollywood Reporter?) with the dude from Fox singing the show's praises.

It got 4.6 million viewers in adults 18-49. It ROSE again.

I agree it will probably level out, that's what a show does. But ratings continue to defy expectations and RISE. Not sure why anyone is at all worried about the show right now.

Cookie in the cab with the driver was perfection. LMAO. I forgot to mention how much I loved that. "You black like me". DEAD.

Hakeem is the one who comes off like a child. I laugh everytime he tries to act like a thug. I did feel for him after he saw the video of homegirl making out with the model.

Jamal is very rootable but I do sometimes roll my eyes when he tries to be all big and bad.

It doesn't help these two look every bit their young age, but it's also interesting to watch them evolve and try and grow and get out of their father's shadow.

I don't think Andre was truly concerned about Jamal getting shot or not. TBH. He knows how to turn it on and off. I'm ready for him to completely lose his mind. He will. I'm already waiting for him to go batshit and shoot up Empire or something. He's a ticking time bomb and the actor is doing a good job portraying it.

Cookie and Lucious were dripping with sex last night. I'm so ready for them to !@#$%^&*] like rabbits.

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Very good point....Lee Daniels should go to therapy...it's much cheaper and doesn't involve making a character look foolish just for the sake of it. Like it was random as hell for Jamal to assault Hakeem like that. And frankly it all just happened to fast. This is what? Like episode 5? Barely anything has occurred for Jamal to even begin to SUSPECT that Hakeem is no long on his side.

I found the whole thing laughable. I liked them showing great at business Cookie is but they ruined it with the whole shoddy ghetto recording studio mess. I also got some weird vibes from the guy who was charging Jamal for the time. Like uhh he was about to turn out Jamal for some more studio time (sorry I had to say it). Glad they didn't go that seedy route but they did say this show would portray the bad side to hip hop as well and lets not pretend that some of these artists do some desperate things to get in the studio....

I will admit I grinned like a clown when Cookie walked in and saw the fruits of her son's labor...:)

• Members

LOL...da thirst is real.....

I see the spark between Cookie and Lucius but it doesn't feel that sexual to me. More like friends to be honest but maybe they'll steam it up more.

I hope they don't go too far with Andre. He can go batsh*t crazy and not be gone from the show. The actor is too good and too damn fine to be wasted like that. But I do love that little unhinged look in his eye. That look of panic/desperation with his mom in last nights episode was priceless. If it weren't for the fact that it's Cookie and that his mother I truly believe he would have snapped and gotten a little aggressive physically with her....

• Members

Lee Daniels is not the showrunner. That's Ilene Chaiken. So he's not responsible for Jamal. Surprisingly enough, people started complaining for Jamal as soon as Daniels wasn't writing an episode. Hmmmm.

And I don't understand AT ALL what's random about Jamal punching Hakeem. So we're gonna judge him for getting upset because he JUSTLY thought, he was SET UP, to think that Hakeem had sent his shady friends to terrorize him? He ought to have beaten his ass to a pulp! But, yeah, Lucious shoots his friend in the eye but Jamal is just way too much punching Hakeem on the stomach! Girl, BYE!

• Members

I don't understand the issue with Jamal punching Hakeem. They're brothers. Brothers fight. Add in the pressure from Cookie and Lucious, Hakeem finding out about Tiana, and Jamal nearly getting shot and it makes sense that something would jump off.

My only issue - which others have already pointed out - is pacing. It would've worked better for this to churn for another episode or two but the idea that they would end up coming to blows makes sense.

• Members

I'm only up to Season 3 of THE L WORD but there was a sharp decline between season 1 and 2 in how good the show was and, very importantly, how smart it was. It seemed really dumbed down once it returned. I hope Daniels & Strong keep a tight leash over this one, otherwise I'm calling it now, Season 2 will be a mess!

• Members

Absolutely! There's nothing new about that, especially not in soaps.

As for the pacing... I am willing to overlook this, for now, because they had a short episode order. I hope the next season is a full 22-episode one and they feel free to let things breathe.

NO soap EVER does well (long-term) with fast pacing. It just doesn't work.

• Members

Thank you!

In the context of what happened, Jamal was 100% justified in punching Hakeem in the gut. There was a shoving match. Things were about to get real. LOL at "assaulting Hakeem". They're brothers and it was a punch in the gut. Jamal didn't beat him to a pulp.

• Members
The ending WAS amazing. So many good moments last night. I loved how she realized she was wrong, made that call and them bam the hit happens. Sooo good. I also like how each episode usually ends with Cookie and Lucious. I don't see "friendship chemistry" at all but !@#$%^&*] me now eyes. Every. Time.

I guess there was some genuine concern with Andre, it's just so hard to grasp whether he gives a damn because he always acts so cold and looks so nastily at his brothers. I'm sure he doesn't really WANT Jamal shot or hurt but I felt like he was acting all surprised and concerned when Hakeem called him. I guess the actor's doing a good job when I'm not sure whether he's sincere or just a cold SOB wanting to take down his family and run the company.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I'm fine with the pacing, smaller elements that make up part of the overall story are moving along quickly and there isn't a need to dwell on much. The stories that need to be paced slower, like Bunkie's shooting and Cookie's federal testimony, as well as the overall rivalry between the brothers, are being paced accordingly.