Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

No offense but if Empire is not appeasing you then simply give it up. I thought the ending was cute. I don't need every episode of a show to end in some shocking cliffhanger. That crap gets old. Shock element for an ending is played out. Just the cute banter between Cookie and Lucious was enough for me to come back next week.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sorry, I'm not giving it up just yet, but I'm going to offer my criticisms, which I'm entitled to by the way, until whenever. Shock elements being played out for an ending is your opinion of course. I guess this show can get away with all the shoddiness it wants now that it's already been renewed.

• Members

No one is saying that you can't offer your criticism. I just think that it is refreshing for a show to slowly tell a poignant story [a la Bill Bell] without relying heavily on tropes. Last night was a good episode as Vee stated b/c we got to see Anika and Hakeem become humanized. They went from being flat to round characters; they became complex like majority of the canvas.

• Members

I loved this episode. It was chock full of character moments. They peeled back layers on a lot of characters and showed us what motivates them.

We saw that Lucious and Anika truly do love each other. The fact that he told her about his illness was HUGE and her response helping him shave was lovely. It was her way of showing that she's got his back every bit as much as Cookie did back in the day. Conversely, we saw how much Lucious wants to protect her even as she continues to try and prove herself to him. He's trying to do for her what he couldn't do for Cookie: keep her safe.

We got a glimpse of what prison was like for Cookie and how forgotten and abandoned she felt. I love how we got a ton of scenes showing us Cookie's bravado then one quiet one with her just talking to another mother about everything she lost.

We saw how Andre has always been the typical oldest child. The one who handles business and steps up to do what needs to be done. It's part of his wiring. Daddy needs an alibi? There's Dre to give him one.

Involving the Nation of Islam was brilliant and learning that they supposedly killed Lucious' father explains a lot about his parenting style as did his pissing match with Beretti. No wonder Lucious is the type of person who would shoot Bunkie in the face. He's been betrayed over and over in his life first by his church then again by his manager. Remember his reaction at the funeral home when he confronted Cookie about talking to the Feds? Lucious is all about loyalty.

We saw that Tiana takes her career seriously and isn't about to let Hakeem's issues derail it.

They did a ton of character work in this episode. I thought it was excellent.