Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Shonda Rimes can call it whatever she wants but Scandal is a soap. Greys is a soap. How to Get Away with Murder is a soap. All three of 'em. And I've never understood the big buzz around Scandal. It's just one shock value plot after another as Kerry Washington sometimes decides she wants to act.

• Members

Oh, I wasn't arguing that anyone thought it was sexy. I was just pointing out that it was intentionally not sexy.

Watched again last night. I absolutely adored Howard in this eppy. His presences is just magnificent! Loving Cookie is a given, but Howard just does something with Lucious that can't be explained. Not many possess that.

So happy Malik Yoba is employed :)

Am I reading correctly? Shonda's hack ass has a beef with this show?

• Members

She seemed shocked [via Twitter] by the dialogue and content of the show in the pilot but when fans came for her ass on Twitter, she cowered. But her ego was quickly stroked when the creators, Lee [Daniels] and Danny [strong], sent over a box to Shonda with a bunch of treats and a message saying that "over at Empire, we bow to the Queen of TV." She quickly tweeted the box and expressed love for the show. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Nothin'ButAttitude

• Members

Trying to stay off my soap box here but why couldn't that sista be happy for Lee Daniels? She and Tyler have been hacking of black TV for quite some time. Does she want to be the only black creator/writer everyone is talking about? We have something good and she wants to shade? Lawd! But it was really good of Lee and Strong to make that jesture, especially Lee. We don't need black scribes coming for one another on social media.

• Members

But my point is that Hakeem & Jamal doesn't see each other as rivals. Even though Hakeem brought it up in last week episode, but he was talking more about the artist side. But he still goes to Jamal for help. He even told his father that Jamal help him with the song. In this week episode Jamal told him what Cookie was up to. This is about Cookie vs Lucious & Andre & his wife scheming for now.

• Members

I'm guessing with Cookie saying the f-word that rhymes with maggot. But Shonda failed to realize that Cookie is supposed to be politically incorrect as she has been incarcerated for 17 years. Times changed from when Cookie was last out. Taraji said on Wendy Williams that a part of Cookie's arc is for her to become refined.

Sometimes I get the impression that Shonda does want to be #1. She does not feel threatened by Tyler b/c his material is pure garbage and everyone knows that Tyler relies heavily on tropes and he can't tell a proper story beat to save his life. Plus, Shonda knows that Tyler will destroy himself overtime, which he is doing now. Go and look on his Facebook for Have and Have Nots and you'll see that 90% of the comments are of people saying they are over the show. Shonda knows that with Lee, who has an academy award under his belt, she is going to get a run for her money.

Furthermore, Lee is already appealing to people because he acknowledges his show is a soap. Shonda, on the other hand, can't. She refuses to acknowledge that because she views soaps as being low brow entertainment. Sad because without soaps, there would be no ABC. Hell, GH singlehandedly funded ABC all throughout the 80s.

• Members

I agree it was the gay slurs. But my points was that she had no problem with Cookie referring to herself as a B.

I didn't know that this was going to be one of Cookie's story arcs. I should have known since Luscious made a comments about how she behaves. Hmmm. I see why they would go this route but I am kinda sad too because changing her kinda implies that there is something wrong with her. I think she's flawless as is! I wonder if code switching will come into play here.

And I also think that Shonda might be a little threatened. Lee's show is good and has brought in great ratings. And he has something that she doesn't and I don't know whether she is uninterested in having it or the network won't allow it....A majority black cast.

Edited by ajsp35801