Beyond Spelling Manor...Candy Spellings

BKuzak

• Members

I don't know if anyone else has seen this. most people know who Arron Spelling was. he produced shows like Charlie's Angels, Dynasty, Beverly Hills 90210 and 7th heaven. His daughter was in beverly Hills 90210 as Donna. Anyway, he died several years ago and his widow sold their huge mansion in California. They had one of the biggest houses in the US.

A couple of years ago they did a two part documentary called "Selling Spelling Manor" where Candy took eveyrone around her house and showed them all her rooms and her thousands of collections. She had like every beanie baby, every Cabbage Patch kid. A whole doll room for Madam Alexandra dolls. three gift wrapping rooms. a bowling alley. Even the attic was filled with thousands of boxes of stuff, includding like over 50 peices of luggage. She decided the house was too big for just her so she sold it and bought a penthouse to remodel.

Well a couple of weeks ago they started showing a three part documentary called "Beyond Spelling Manor" where it shows her getting her two story penthouse built. She has a salt water pool, a large grand staircase, a large conservatory that has a whole garden. She even had a rose developed for her so she could grow a Candy Spelling rose in her apartment. Then in the second episode, she decided she wanted an apartment in New York because she was a producer now. She rented this beutiful apartment with view of the city in all the rooms and everything. This monday is the final where the penthouse is done and she's having a big A list party. Kathy Hilton will be there.

She is just someone who has so much money, she doesn't know what to do . And she's not exactly sharing it with her children. When she was selling some of her things, she said she was giving some money for her children's charities but those madam Alexandra dolls went for thousands of dollars each. and she had a lot of other expensive things that she collected in that big house. I have a feeling the charities got very little of that.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I forget which thread it was in, but Sylph, DaytimeFan and I were following all of this a year or so ago. Her name escapes me at the moment, but that Russian heiress bought The Manor and revamped it. Sylph sent me the pictures. I also saw the computer-generated mock-up of the Century City penthouse. I would love to see this three-part series, where is it airing? 20/20 did a piece that sounds very similar but not as in-depth.

• Members

HGTV is airing it. The final episode is on this Sunday at 7pm central time.

They don't touch on the lawsuits she has brought against the building where she built the penthouse because they didn't end up opening a restaurant.

• Members

They only showed a few rooms of the penthouse on the first episode. I'm really looking forward to this final hour because they should be showing a few of the other rooms. I think it's fun because she's someone where she would find a little crack in the wall and make sure it's fixed. She wanted everything perfect. Of course with all her millions, she deserves to have everything the way she wants it.

That second one I wasn't as big of a fan of because it was just her looking for apartments in New York. I actually would like one of those. In one, you can see the NY skyline while sitting in the tub! Amazing.

• Members

I watched some of it. Mostly because I swear it was Adrian Pasdar narrating it.

I don't even know how to process that kind of wealth. To me, she seems more owned by her possessions than enjoying them.

• Members

So she didn't want them to build a restaurant on the main floor or something? I know some residents of one of Phillipe Starck's buildings in Manhattan did not like that a McDonald's was built on the main floor, but I'm sure Candy's building would have gotten some posh joint.

I wonder if she smokes.

• Members

These poor people had no idea what they were getting themselves into when they rented to her.

Candy is going after The Century, claiming owners of the building promised certain amenities, including a restaurant. Candy -- who plunked down $47 mil for 2 floors -- claims the building isn't delivering on its promises.

The restaurant, Candy says, was supposed to open on January 1, but it's not. She says the owners have not made any concessions.

Candy wants some of the money back to compensate her for the amenities she didn't get.

Candy is also suing The Carlyle, the building where she's currently living while The Century is under construction. Candy claims they're trying to prematurely force her out. She also claims there are big problems with the building, and they even tried double billing her for utilities. The building is in turn suing her for eviction.

• Members

She is upset because the restaurant did not open.

She is also suing an auction house that auctioned off her dolls during the "Selling Spelling Manor" special. She had one auction with them where she made over $400,000 auctioning off those Madame Alexander dolls and she ended up cancelling her second auction which caused some sort of delay in processing her payment. I think she was upset the first auction didn't make "enough".

• Members

I would be upset too if I thought I was moving into a Ritz-like full-service building and they flaked on the restaurant. She was probably looking forward to having most of her meals delivered upstairs.

But enough with the lawsuits! She does indeed sound miserable. I'm assuming things are still rocky with Tori and she probably doesn't see her grandchildren all that often. I hope for her sake that she does have some genuinely close friends. Her homes are dream homes and if I had a place like that I'd entertain all the time, it would be filled with family and friends.

• Members

Last I heard her and Tori had reconciled but they have gone back and forth. When she was looking at the NYC apartments she noted some rooms would be good for her grandchildren but I'm sure if Randy Spelling has children or not.

• Members

Yes last I saw, she and Tori were OK. In the first documentary "selling spelling manor" Tori came over and she gave her some suitcase she had made when she was a teenager and then she gave her grandaughter (Stella) some big doll house that Tori once owned. but I don't know how long ago that was. I think she had just given birth to her third child (it could have been the fourth, i lost count. She had them so close together.)

I know she probably can't afford it but Tori should have moved into Spelling Manor. She has four children to raise, that house is perfect for a big family. it has 14 bedrooms and 27 bathrooms. Allegedly 123 rooms in all. It's sad that one spoild heris with no family yet bought it. Although i think her father bought it for her.

Randy is married with two children. He lives in Oregan now so i don't know how often he comes to visit. I think he and his mother always had a very close relationship so he probably visits at least once a year but who knows if he takes his whole family.

• Members

The last part of the "season" was sunday. It was pretty good. Cabdy showed more rooms from the new penthouse. We loved the bedroom where the TV was tucked under the bed and all she had to do is press a button and it came right up and then spun around so she could look at it from wherever she was. another cool thing eas the 80-inch TV that was on the wall hidden behind the bookshelves in the library. and of course she brought the dinning room from The Manor and a big grand piano (that she doesn't even play.)

I miss her doll room. Personally, mine would have been a Barbie Doll room. She had the expensive Madam Alexandra. I think it would be awsome to have a room just for the Barbie Dolls. of course keep them in good condition...on shelves locked with glass. A good collector can easily fill a whole room with barbies from the 60's through the 00's. and still leave space for newer ones.

Archived